2

“One last time!” I yelled and the kids all snapped back up onto their feet. When they were all in the right position I clapped the way I do when counting down until the real counting of moves. Sounds weird but it’s not.

I clap 4 times and then count out loud to help the kids keep in time with the best they would be using.

We haven’t made them dance to real music, just the moves and we are going to add in the music later, in about 4 or 5 days.

Usually you would listen to the song as you choreograph, but I choreographed the dance so they would learn. I smiled as they all were in tune and when they all stopped I clapped. They deserved more than one person but I’m all they get.

“Great you guys, go get a big cup of water and go upstairs and wait for your mom or dad.” I dismissed them and Maddie walked over to me.

“Are you dropping me off at Dom’s work?” She asked batting her eyelashes.

“I can, do you want me to?” I asked and she nodded.

“Go get your bag and drink some water.” I told her and she ran off doing as I said as I slipped my shoes back on and grabbed my over shirt.

I stood as she came back over and I grabbed her bag for her. “Come on.” I said guiding her out the back and right to my car.

“This is your car? It’s so tiny. Dom has to pick me up to put me in his car.” She said and happily got in my car.

I put her things in the back of my car and went to my side, opening it and seeing her already strapped in. “Let’s go.” I said knowing there was only one lumber yard in Santa Cruz I drove the 25 minutes to get there. Of course that left 5 minutes until Dominic actually got out of work to come out and get Maddie.

She asked what I was going to eat for dinner and I said whatever I cook for myself. Mom was working late tonight. She hired only a part time janitor and he came in on certain days, today he wasn’t coming in.

 We eventually started playing a game.

“Would you rather hold a snake or spider?” I asked seeing her cringe at the thought of both.

“Snake… no spider… I don’t know.” She giggled and then shook her head.

“I don’t like either of the choices either.” I said and she just shuddered. “You want to sit on the hood of the car?” I asked knowing I could pick her up that far if I needed to and place her up there. It was a really nice day out.

We both got out and I hefted her onto my car.

“Would you rather date a nerd or bad boy?” She asked making my mind go to her older brother immediately.

“Nerd.” I said knowing what a relationship with a guy like Dominic might actually be like... I have never seen him with just one girl, when I go to parties he gets there, drinks one cup and takes the drunkest girl to some other place. Not me. I am a virgin and proud… sort of.

I’ll admit I have never had a boyfriend before. I want one, just not as bad as to go out with a guy I don’t know. I kind of want my virginity gone by the end of senior year, I mean seriously… I know most girls have lost and done it over and over again at my school. I just want my first time to be special.

All of a sudden I heard giggling and I looked and saw Maddie staring at me with a small grin.

“Would you rather dance for the rest of your life or find true love?” She asked and that was hard.

It can be love without it being true love… can’t it. As long as he is committed right? If he cheats then no. I won’t have a cheater ruin my life again.

“Dance.” I said truthfully knowing there actually might be nothing like true love on this earth.

“Really?” She sounded so shocked. I looked at her and she had wide worried eyes.

“You can love without it being true.” I told her my first thought not wanting to crush her hopes of finding love.

“I guess, but true love means the world to my parents.” She said and I was shocked.

“Well I guess we are just different.” I said and she seemed to think about it.

“Will you come to dinner tonight?” She asked and then when I was about to decline I heard someone shout her name. I turned as she did and saw Dominic with a bunch of saw dust on him holding his arms open for her.

She ran into them and I smiled at how much of a good brother he must be to her. She seemed to really love spending time with her.

As he got closer holding her in his arms I heard her telling him stuff. “She would rather dance than have true love.” She said and I laughed and hid my face. I didn’t think she would tell him that.

“So, she is entitled to her own life.” Dominic said and she huffed.

“I also invited her to dinner.” She sassed and they both turned to look at me.

“I wouldn’t want to intrude.” I said quickly already to get in my car and say goodbye.

“I’m sure she has her own mom and dad to get home to eat with.” Dominic said and I felt a pang of pain hit me.

“No she said she was cooking her own food tonight. Dom make her come.” She pouted and I knew that pout would get him to be nice and invite me, no matter how much he didn’t want to. He seemed to steam and look over at me.

“Just come to dinner.” He sounded irritated with me being there already. And I wasn’t even there yet!

“I don’t-“

“Just come.” He snapped and let Maddie drop. “Where is your dance bag?” He asked and Maddie looked at me.

I smiled lightly at her and went towards the back of my car and Dominic followed me. I opened and went to get it when Dominic beat me to it. “You know you have to come now.” He said and didn’t seem to please, hell why would he be pleased with me coming to his house, I knew nothing about his family besides Maddie.

“I don’t think I should.” I told him closing the back of my car.

“Well you are, so just follow me.” I said turning away and for a moment I was going to fake getting a call from my mom saying she needed help but there were six words that stopped me.

“I want to go with Jesy!” Maddie shouted making me sigh in defeat… I was not getting out of this was I?