1

It's been two days since the Hamilton album was released and I already ended up listening to it while warming up, much to the amusement of my coach.

The U.S. International Figure Skating Classic competition had ended on the 20th in a silver medal for me. I had aimed for gold – like anybody obviously would – but ended up five points behind Satoko Miyahara. Whelp, there's always a next time, huh?

Now, back home and a week later, I'm standing in a Starbucks, one earphone plugged in while the other was dangling around loosely so I could listen if my order was called out.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Y/N Rippon, I'm 21 years old and a U.S. figure skater. My coaches are two people you probably don't know. I've been skating since I was seven years old, thanks to my brother Adam for introducing me to the sport, and I've got a couple of medals I can be proud of. Two of them are Olympic bronze medals. I seem to like bronze. The 2014 medal was close, though, as Italy's Carolina Kostner ended up fourth with just a 0.01 points difference.

I'm skating for the Skating Club of New York and my next event planned to compete this year is Skate America, one of the Grand Prix of Figure Skating competitions leading up to the Grand Prix Final. While my brother practices in California, I decided to live in New York and practice here.

And so, here I stand, at 9pm in a Starbucks and in desperate need of hot chocolate, listening to Farmer Refuted.

I sit at a table as I wait. I don't understand how people come to Starbucks at 9pm after work. Then again, here I am right after practice.

My jacket is wrapped around my waist and my bag with my skates and other equipment lies at my feet.

In my head I run through my practice of today again. Coach said I'm getting better at my flips, which I hate. Out of every jump, I hate the flip the most and I don't even know why. But Coach always says I need at least one flip in my programs so I just roll with it, after all – Coach knows best.

My name is called by a barista and I immediately jump up, wincing slightly. My legs are sore, but mostly because of my slightly overstretched knee. Coach doesn't know, so I'll be fine. If she knew, I would definitely not be out on the ice for the next month or so (she likes to exaggerate).

I head to the counter, get my hot chocolate and then make my way out to get home. I'm just out of the shop, my earphones both plugged back in, when a hand on my shoulder makes me jump once more and have a slight heart attack while I'm at it.

I pull out my headphones and turn around to see a kind of tall man standing there, a polite smile on his lips as he says "You forgot your bag."

I look down at myself and then down at his other hand and realize that I did forget my bag. I blush in embarrassment and mumble "Oh..."

The guy chuckled and smiled a little brighter "Long day?"

I nodded as I took my bag from him "Yeah, kind of. Thank you for this, I think I would've ended up freaking out when I got home and realized I forgot it..."

"Don't worry. I'm glad I noticed it already, otherwise I probably would've ended up running around like crazy, looking for you and trying to get it back to you. I don't think anyone else would've done that," he says and I nod again "Yeah, they probably would've just taken my bag with them. Although I don't think they can start a lot with a pair of skates."

"You skate?"

I begin to grin a little "Yeah. I'm a single figure skater. Pairing up with someone isn't really my thing, I can't put that much trust in someone else like they all do."

He chuckled once more and then held out his hand "I'm Thayne." "Y/N," I said and shook his hand.

Just as Thayne wanted to say something, the door to Starbucks opens and a woman with long, dark hair pops out and said "Thayne, what do you want? Remember, Oak is paying, so go crazy."

Thayne looked back at her and replied "Same as usual." The woman rolled her eyes and said "I said go crazy!", but then she grinned, winking at him, before returning to the others inside so she could put up Thayne's order.

I noticed how Thayne blushed a little at her wink. Ooookay, I won't ask what that was supposed to mean.

"I think you should get back to your friends," I said and Thayne chuckled awkwardly, "Yeah, I think I should. It was nice meeting you though, Y/N."

"It was nice to meet you, too, Thayne."

And while he went back inside to his friends, I turned around and made my way home, my bag and hot chocolate in my hands.

I've been meaning to write a thayne x reader story for a while now and finally I found some motivation and inspiration to do so.

I'm figure skating trash, so the olympics got me kind of motivated to write something about fs and I thought 'why not combine your two most favorite things in the world for a story' and bam, there you go

I hope this'll be as enjoyable for you as it is for me