12

Carleigh had posted a picture out of that photo series on her Instagram, tagged us in it and captioned it with "When two stars find each other, Oak is there to let it rain❤️🌸"

My only comment had been "Carleigh why"

Thayne and I are looking at each other in the picture, the flower petals falling, and we're about to frown at each other, but in the picture we just look like we realized how close we were. Thinking about it, we were really close, and that just makes me blush.

I wipe the thoughts away and tie the laces to my skates tightly. The Cup of China is just a week away and we fly out to Beijing in four days. Enough time to get some more training done, just to feel the ice beneath my blades in general. I just love the sound of the ice crunching as I move along.

"Y/N, I thought we talked about this."

I sigh lowly and focus on tying my skates as Megan's feet appear before me.

"I don't know what you mean, I haven't done anything yet," I reply and finally look up at her, innocence spread across my face. Now Megan sighs and she stems her hands in her hips "You know very well what I'm talking about. You shouldn't practice too much."

"But I need to practice so I can win the Cup of China and go to the Grand Prix Final," I say slowly, as if she hadn't understood me before.

"Y/N, I understand that, but your knee-" "Is totally fine, don't worry," I interrupt her and stand up. She doesn't need to know that I put some kinesiology tape on my knee to stabilize it a little. Just a one time thing, no need to worry.

I take the blade guards off and step onto the ice. The sound of the ice beneath my blades is so satisfying I could melt away.

I skate a couple of rounds around the rink, just to warm myself up a little, before I go ahead and try some jumps. Megan, watching from the side, is probably horrified. She thinks my knee could snap anytime soon. I don't think so, which is why I'm still practicing and still pushing myself every once in a while.

I approach for the quad salchow. I take off. And I fail.

I curse under my breath as I land on my butt. I didn't have the right height, so I couldn't get the four rotations in without problems. Shit.

I get up again, skate a little around the rink, go through some step sequences for my programs, before I then try a jump again.

Triple lutz. I land it. Good.

Let Megan believe it's only the quad I have trouble with.

I go through the routine of my free program, the music playing in my head as I skate across the rink. I manage to integrate the quad salchow and I even land it cleanly, which I'm unbelievably proud of. Now I only need to be able to land it in competition. But sadly, things aren't as easily done as they're said.

After I finish the routine, I skate to the side of the rink to grab my water bottle. Megan is watching me like a hawk, obviously not amused with the fact that I'm just blatantly ignoring her and doing what she told me not to.

I skate around the rink again, go through my spins and jumps and step sequences, everything going fine.

Until I mess up the triple loop and land on my knee.

I flinch so hard, I think Megan could feel it.

I lay flat on my stomach on the ice, breathing heavily and let the ice cool down the pain in my knee.

Shit.

"Y/N!", I hear Megan call and feet start to shuffle across the ice towards me. It's more than just one person. Please don't let it be Sarah!

I turn onto my back and sit up slowly, ignoring the pain in my knee as good as I can and say "I'm fine."

I look up and see Megan approach me, alongside Thayne. Right, Thayne wanted to visit me during practice today...

They glide to a stop beside me and Thayne drops to his knees "You okay?" Megan immediately goes to see my knee, but I swat her hand away and say "I'm fine."

I go to stand up, Thayne immediately there to hold me should I fall. The pain is subsiding already. Or maybe it's just because I'm ignoring it so good that my body forgets it's there. Either way, I'm glad it does.

"You need to go see a doctor, right now!", Megan says strictly but I shake my head, nearly snapping at her "No, I don't. As I said, I'm fine!"

I skate to the side, leaving Thayne and Megan behind on the ice.

Off the ice, I throw myself onto the bench and untie my skates. As soon as Megan reaches me, I say yet again "Megan, I. Am. Fine!"

"No you're not! Do you think I'm stupid? That I wouldn't notice the tape on your knee? I notice that your knee is stiffer than usual! You need to see a doctor!", Megan stems her hands in her hips and I feel like I'm having a déjà-vu.

"Megan, how many times have I told you this? I'm totally fine! Nothing will happen! The tape is just a security measurement!", I retort and look up at her as I pull off my skates.

"Nothing will happen? Y/N, your knee is this close to snapping in two and you think nothing will happen?"

I pity Thayne for standing there as Megan and I fight over my health.

"I say that because I know nothing will happen!" Megan immediately shoots back "You already injured your knee enough during the previous seasons. I think it's time for you to take a break."

"I didn't ask for your opinion about this, Megan," I shove my feet into my sneakers and my skates into my bag, before I stand and say "As long as I feel perfect, there's no need for me to let a doctor check out my knee."

That said, I turn away and head to the door.