Family Ties

Music: Asleep // The Smiths

July 8, 2013

The amber sun shone warmly above us, glowing the sky and causing sweat to drip down my forehead. It was one of the hottest summers that we had experieneced in a while, but many things had caused my mind to drift from past weather of summers. Maybe last summer had been hotter. I do remember that no weather can beat that heat wave in 2007.

  It is never fun to sit inside all day with no air conditioner being bored out of your mind, but it does give you time to wonder what Cody is pondering to do next. It amuses me how Cody spends so much time.attempting to make a creative demented activity for us to play along with, and how its been long since someone has died during a game. Calum died five months ago and that was due to Chloe, the last time.somebody died during a game was Zayn. I wonder if Cody is actually attempting to kill us off during games and is frustrated by our survival, but then again he wouldnt have the nurses treat us when we are injured. Is it all part of a plan? Does he want us all to feel pain without death?

  "Wanna go up to the field? It's too pretty a day to sit around inside," Niall suggests.

  A field lays behind the house that grows corn and has lots of thinking space. We enjoy our excursions to this field, since it is a good place to think.

  "I think its a great idea, to get our mind off things. What do you think Louis?" Liam asks.

  "Sure, it feels funny when the sun burns against my neck," Louis says.

  I was right about Louis feeling a bit better the morning after he had a freak out (the look in his eyes no longer scares me), but he's still definitely a bit off.

  "C'mon Luke, you haven't been outside for a while," I say.

  "Sure," he mumbles. Luke still has a broken expression and isn't a quarter as lively as he used to be, and he doesn't parcipate in a lot of good things. However, he always responds when I speak to him, ever since that day.

Phoenix has also been a lot more bitter since Calum died (even more pessimistic than before) and rarely has a genuine smile or laugh. Violet has seemed a lot more cynical (even more than before) as the more time passes that we dont get out. Izzy has opened up a lot more and has become a good friend to all of us, other than Phoenix who would just refuse to trust her.

  "Well none of you are going without supervision," Cody chimes in.

  "Don't be ridiculous, we go on our own all of the time," Violet says.

"Well Sonny needs to chop me some corn for dinner, so she will be tagging along," he says.

  Everybody groans, but we know we will be able to ditch her once we get there, as always.

Sonny rolls her eyes at Cody and then goes off to pick up a large, shiny axe.

  "How much you want?" she asks Cody.

"Enough to feed everybody, retard," he snarks.

Sonny scowls and walks out of the door, the spooky axe hanging over her shoulder.

  We wait until she can get a good amount of space in front of us and follow out the door. It definitely is a beautiful day, a bright amber sun in the midst of a baby blue sky with a couple of fluffy white clouds lingering in the sky. Beige sand lumps beneath my flip flops with occasional growths of green grass. July has always been my favorite month; being the only month that is pure summer and filled (while on a normal agenda) with drives to the beach while singing the hottest song out right now or taking the bus to the pool. It was a time when happiness was contagious and I couldn't remember a bad July. That is, until we got here.