Chapter 31: Stop messing around.

Rose's POV

I was mad. No, that's probably an understatement. I was furious.

At four o'clock Jessie wasn't home yet, but I actually hadn't expected her to be in time. Keeping an eye on my phone, I sat at the swimming pool trying to enjoy the hot weather. When it passed five without any sign of her, I started to get slightly irritated. Stubborn as I was, I typed her a text but didn't send it. It was her job to keep me posted, not the other way around. At quarter past six I started to prepare dinner, but I was already having trouble with keeping myself under control. When she still hadn't showed up at seven, I ate on my own in all pissed off silence and wondered what the hell she would be doing.

At half past eleven my eyelids started drouping and I gave in to the tiredness that, in the end, seemed to be stronger than my madness. I dragged myself to the bedroom and fell asleep before my head even reached the pillow. Still no sign from Jessie.

----

When I woke up, I had to blink a few times before I could properly see the clock showing ten. I stretched myself and rolled over to wrap my arms around Jessie's soft warm body, but shot up wide awake when all I found was a cold empty space.

"What the hell?" I mumbled to myself. Where was she?

I crawled out of bed and left the room. I was worried and all I could think of was that something would've happened to her and I didn't know because my phone was still lying on the kitchen table. My heartbeat raised and all kinds of scenarios started flashing through my mind. I might have gone slightly insane if it weren't my eyes to catch something lying in the middle of the living room. Her purse.

"What the -" I couldn't even finish mumbling to myself because the anger building up inside of me started sufficating everything. I saw two shoes lying on the floor behind the couch, two feet dangling above and all I could hear was the snorring of an old drunken man that filled the room. There she lay on the couch, crashed down with her hair all messed up and bits of make up sticking on her extremely pale face. One arm hanging over the armrest, the other one tucked underneath her in a weird position. If it wasn't for the snorring I would've thought she was more than dead.

As closer as I walked toward the couch, an awful smell started filling my nose. The smell of cheap beer and stomac content. I can assure you, there's nothing more unpleasant at ten in the morning. When I stood next to her, I saw a smutty mess splashed between the couch an the coffeetable. She had thrown up. Now I at least got where that awful smell was coming from.

"Jessica, what the f-" I cut myself off again, for the same reason as earlier, and clinched my fists.

Not a single reaction came from that bunch of misery lying in front of me. I did one step closer, trying to avoid any contact with the smelling trash, and started shaking her shoulder.

"Jessie! Jess! Goddamn it, wake up!"

She rolled over, making plaintive noises. For a second I thought she would just continue sleeping it off, but eventually she started slowly blinking her eyes. As soon as the light reached her pupils she immediately clutched at her head.

"Ahrrgghh", she groaned. "Fucking hell."

I couldn't even force myself to feel sorry for her. Even though she looked more terrible than ever, all I could think of was how she had let me down again. I just kept on staring at her, at the way she tried to make any sense of what was going on. It seemed like she had really totally blacked out.

"Where am I?" she muttered confusedly, wandering around for as far as she could turn her head.

"Where the hell have you been?" I shot back immediately.