Unanswered Questions

(Picture above is the ship)

Me, Lucas and Opal have been sailing in the open sea for two days now, and we still have no sign of my brother and my cousins. I was leaning against the main mast when suddenly, I got the urge to ask Lucas about him and his sisters.

"Hey Lucas, can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Sure, what is it?" he asked.

"When did you know that you had two sisters?" I asked after hesitating for a second. He looked at me with a weird look on his face before he spoke.

"I knew about my sisters after I was born, of course," he said while laughing a little. After he said that, I was really shocked. I just stared at him wide-eyed.

"Hey, you okay?" he asked, a little concerned.

"Lucas, I only knew about my brother like four days ago,"

By now, I thought I would be looking at the most surprised boy ever, but all I saw was a boy with a sad look on his face. Now it was my turn to look at him weirdly.

"You really don't know anything, do you?" he asked a few seconds later.

"Don't know what?" I asked while raising an eyebrow.

"Well, if I'm gonna tell you the whole story from the start, we really have to sit down," he said after sitting down beside Opal. After I sat in front of him, I motioned him to tell me everything from the beginning.

"Alright, so my mum has told me many stories about our family, and many of them had something to do with your powers. Your mum was special because she was gifted with the power of the stars, which is the most ancient power in our family. From what I know, your dad had the power of water and wind, that's why he became a pirate." he stopped for a while after he saw my sad expression, but I told him to continue and he just nodded.

"When your mum and dad went on a journey together, one day, something happened. Your mother lost control of her powers and destroyed everything." he stopped after I interrupted.

"How? She can't just lose control of all her powers just like that, can she?" I asked, a little loud.

"I'm not sure myself. These are just stories my mum told me," he said, he then continued.

"Your father did manage to calm your mother's powers, eventually. After your parents came back from that long journey, your father decided to stop pirating for a few years." he then stopped after I interrupted again.

"I guess that's when they got married and after a year my brother was born," I said, and my cousin just nodded in reply.

"But I still don't get it. What does this have to do with me not knowing about my own sibling?" I asked my cousin, who now started thinking.

"Maybe your mother is afraid that you will go searching for your brother and will lose control of your powers, just like she did," he said to me while rubbing his chin, imagining he had a beard.

"Or maybe something else happened. Something that my mum doesn't want me to know. Whatever it is, I'm gonna find out the truth, sooner or later." I said while patting Opal, who fell asleep while listening to my cousin's stories.

The two of us talked for a long time while thinking of how our siblings would look like. We didn't even realize that it was already night time, and when we did realize it we decided to get some rest. We had already laid down some blankets on the floor, in the small cabin since it was the only room that was empty. Lucas fell asleep right away but I, on the other hand, couldn't even close my eyes. I had a lot of questions in my head that needed answers. I got up from my sleeping bag and walked to the quarter deck of the ship, where I could get a good view of the stars. I leaned against the deck while taking a deep breath of the cool wind. It was so relaxing, feeling the cool breeze in my hair while staring at the beautiful stars in the night.

'Why? Why me? My brother could have gotten this power, so why did my mum passed on the most ancient power to her youngest child?' I thought in my head. To be honest, when you put it like that, it kinda sounds like my mum wasn't thinking straight when she gave her powers to me.

You see, most wizards wouldn't pass down their powers to their kids but my mum did. I didn't even know it was possible because I've never heard of any wizard who has done that until my mum told me. Lucas's mother did the same as well which is how he has Spirit Magic now. I guess it's a family thing? Anyways, for wizards who don't pass down their powers, their kids would be born with their own powers which, in my opinion, is pretty cool.

I was suddenly awoken from my thoughts when I felt something brushing against my leg. When I looked down, I saw Opal looking at me with worried eyes. I kneel down in front of her and gave her a small smile.

"Don't worry, Opal. I'm fine," I said while ran my fingers through her white fur. Opal just gave me a lick on the face as in replying 'okay'.

"We should get some rest. It's getting late," I said after standing up. I walked back to my sleeping bag with Opal at my heels and quietly lay down without waking Lucas up. Eventually, I fell asleep while snuggling with Opal who slept beside me.