Children part 8

She opens her eyes sleepily, she feels like she had a dream about something.

When she looks up, something is off.....she's in.....Sureumdong?

She's no longer in their wooden house on the island. Instead, she's lying on the giant soft bed inside Sureumdong.

She squints to focus on her surrounding, then she closes her eyes sleepily again.

"......Why did you....bring me here?....."

She asks faintly.

"The bed at home was way too stiff." He answers, combing his hand through her hair.

The pocket watch is now linked to both him and her. He's already set the time.

"Hmm......." She didn't say anything in return.

"To prevent you from running away with other men in your dream, I have no choice but to find out the contract details myself." His breathing is gentle and steady next to her ears.

"So, later on, I'm going to take a look at your past........No matter what we encounter, don't be scared, don't be afraid. Because, when you wake up, I'll be right beside you, OK?"

"Ok..........."

Her breathing is light and she's answering subconsciously.

The watch starts to tick.

He gently embraces her, closing his eyes.

Time starts to rewind.

He's standing on a riverbank, watching things unfold.

He's standing right next to her, this is her memory.

He's just a trespasser of her memories, even with the power of the pocket watch, she cannot see his presence.

She is the owner of the memory, Jin Seon Mi.

.......................

At the end of her 5th grade.

Jin Seon Mi was 10 years old, her little cousin Mi-Joo was in 3rd grade, 8 years old.

Mi-Joo was walking along the river and was dragged into the water by a water spirit.

Seon Mi went to save her and chased the water spirit away. By then, the adults also reached the scene.

Mi-Joo was lying on the river bank. The adults ran to Mi-Joo and started asking how did she fall into the river. The young Mi-Joo lifted her fingers and pointed at the drenched Seon Mi.

People's expression became scared.

"This child, is a child of the demon!!"

"That's right, she cursed her parents and brought along the plague. She even caused the death of the family member who raised, now, she's even going after her uncle's daughter....."

"This is so scary, she's cursed!!"

In people's whispers, uncle is holding onto his daughter, his look in his eyes begins to change.

Isolation, afraid and disgust.

_______________

She's having a high fever. She lies on the bed, no one is there to look after her.

In the middle of the night, she carries her exhausted body up to get some water to drink.

Outside her bedroom door, the adults are talking about sending her away.

"Will it be alright? Afterall.....mother did request us to look after her when she was still alive.....also, the neighbours will start gossiping....."

"But mummy! Seon Mi unnie really pushed me into the river......"

"Did you hear what your daughter said? We've done enough to let her eat and live here for free. If something happens to Mi-Joo, how can you live peacefully??! I'm done discussing this! My friend is the director of the Sacred Heart orphanage, he told me that there are a lot of children there, so there shouldn't be any problems. When they grow up to 14 or 15 years old, they can just learn some skills and start working. No matter what, we cannot let that cursed child live here anymore. Her parents died, my mother died! Isn't that enough?!"

Through the crack of the door, her hands are trembling.

The orphanage, they are sending her to an orphanage?!

She grips tightly onto the door but can't find the strength to push open the door.

She doesn't want to go to the orphanage!! She has families! She's not going to the orphanage!

Her mind is cloudy from her fever, she crying and tries to speak, but no sound came out, she can't speak......

She's not a cursed child.

She didn't cause the death of her parents.....she didn't cause the death of her beloved grandma......

She shakes her head and falls to the ground. All the strength being drained from her body. Only heavy tears fall silently to the ground.

Don't know how much time has passed, the door's pushed open.

Her little cousin Mi-Joo stands over her, scorning, then, she stepps onto her hand.

Mi-Joo smiles, "Finally, this yucky Seon Mi Unnie can finally disappear."

She lies still on the floor.......as if at that moment, she has lost all of her senses.

The adult Jin Seon Mi watches the little girl from afar, she walks to her and tries to touch the person in her memory, only to grab onto nothing.

He stands behind her, his fists clenched tightly, watching everything unfold with sorrow and a heavy heart.

This, was something he's never imaged of........her past........

(Clarification: In the dream, there is the young Jin Seon Mi which belongs in the memory, there is also the adult Jin Seon Mi who traveled back in time, people in the dream can't see her. Son Oh Gong is observing the memory next to adult Jin Seon Mi but adult Jin Seon Mi also can't see Son Oh Gong.)