Wrong Number (Part 2)

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V ~

      I waited until Mike was out of the shower and had wandered into the kitchen before I gave him his medicine. "Did you sleep okay?" He shrugged. "Do you remember much?" He rubbed his eyes and shook his head. "Not much more than bits and pieces." "Do you want some breakfast? I'm gonna make toast." "Sure. Do you want me to help at all or..?" "It's fine." He nodded slowly before walking to my dining table and sitting down. After he sat down, it fell into an awkward silence as I began to make toast.

      I had just set his toast on a plate and brought it to him when he cleared his throat and grabbed my wrist gently before I could leave to go make mine. "I just wanted to say thank you for helping me and that... I'm sorry I got you into this little mess. I know it can't be easy taking care of a drunk person, especially one that you met because of a wrong number, out of all things. Thank you." I felt my heart soften as his voice grew more quiet. By the end of his last sentence, his grip on my wrist had loosened and he was looking off. I sat down across from him and grabbed his hand in mine. I saw his shoulder stiffen, but he said nothing and didn't turn to look at me. "I don't feel like helping you is as big of a burden as you're making it out to be." He still didn't answer and I pulled my hand back to myself.  "Mike, I don't regret helping you if that is what you are thinking." "Why'd you do it?" "Because I could hear you hurting over the phone. Because with whatever you are going through, I heard myself in your voice. I couldn't leave you alone. I just couldn't." I stared at his slouched figure as he continued to look away and I got up from my seat. I could tell by the way he leaned into himself that he was going to cry, and I didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable by sitting there while he did so.

      "Her name was Jane." I froze in place. "I've lived here in Hawkins my whole life and.. I'll be honest. No one liked me except my friends who were of course, all boys, and I was a huge nerd and- She was the first girl to look at me with something other than disgust. She didn't know better on how to look at me and I just.. I thought she loved me (y/n). Through all the... very scary fights, and all of the promises, I thought she loved me. Turns out, she never did." I stared at him, feeling a wall of emotions crumbling down on me. "Mike-" "Please don't pity me. Please don't pity me and the 8 years down the drain."  I stepped closer to him. "I don't wanna pity you Mike. I won't pity you. I just want to comfort you." This time I sat in the chair next to him and I hugged him. 

      As soon as my arms had encircled him, Mike broke down into sobs. While he cried, I rubbed my hands in small circles on his back and I hummed to him. I hummed to him different lullabies and songs and each one only made him hug me tighter. 

                                                                                     ~ Time Skip ~

      We stayed sitting in the chairs for a while, even when Mike had finished crying. We sat in the chairs and we held each other while my humming grew softer and softer, until it stopped completely. "Mike?" I whispered. "Yeah?" He tried to whisper in reply but his voice came out in a crackling, croaking mess. "You could always move in with me if you wanted. I won't make you but I have the guest room and there's a lot of space here. It wouldn't even have to be forever, just until you get back onto your feet." Mike didn't answer at first. "I'll.. I'll think about it." I nodded and said nothing else as we stayed in our embrace, forgetting about everything else.

      Author's Note: I am so so so sorry for not updating this book in so long. I was so focused on my other books I never really fully realized I had stopped updating this one. I am sorry this chapter was so short but the next one will be longer. I hope you all had an amazing Easter (if you celebrate that) and I hope you all have an amazing day/night! :)