• 35 •

THIRTY FIVE
continuum
ALEXA MONTGOMERY
THE SANCTUARY

I rushed to the railing, looking over to the bottom, my head spinning. I was terrified. I could hear people in pain, but I could hear others shooting their guns.

Everyone ran out in terror, others laying on the floor either dead or injured from the explosion. They were closer than I thought.

My eyes stared in horror as I gazed down at some of my people bleeding out with missing limbs.

My jaw clenched and my hands gripped the railing. This can't be happening.

This must all be a dream.

There's no way this is happening again.

Horrible memories flashed in my head in and out. Flashes of me getting hit with the explosions, flashes of Alexandria dying, flashes of dad dying.

I was ripped from my thoughts when there was an eruption fairly close to me, causing the almost unstable ground I stood on to shake violently.

I quickly ran down the stairs, sprinting down the hallways, pushing passed people as I did.

"Everyone out!" I yelled as I made my way through the halls. Most of the people were coming from the armory, getting ready for the war.

My head filled with thoughts. Scary thoughts.

As I finally got to the armory, I ran to the right side, grabbing the most powerful gun I could find. I also armed myself with 2 SIG Sauer p226's.

I frantically looked around for something else useful. I went to the back, spotting grenades and something that I have never ever used before.

I had no time to argue with myself whether it was safe to use or not.

I grabbed a few grenades, a small bag to put them in, and then the weapon I almost was too scared to use.

I wasn't going to use it unless it was absolutely necessary. It was huge, but it had a sling so I could put it on my back.

It was heavy and definitely slowed me down, but it provided a great amount of safety.

I left the armory and rushed to the source of more explosions, yelling and gunshots.

Once I reached the main area where I just was not even 10 minutes ago, my heart broke.

Seeing all the bodies. All the ones who were left to suffer. I couldn't kill them just yet.

There was just no time.

More detonations blew in every direction, causing the building to begin to have debris.

My heart raced, my stomach completely dropping. I felt so sick.

I needed to get everyone out.

I needed to kill every single living drifter.

I made it outside, bullets flying through the air.

I raised my gun, shooting at the ones I knew weren't my people.

My legs carried me quickly, dodging the bullets in the air.

I spotted 3 drifters hiding behind trees. I raised my Heckler and Koch HK416, aiming it at the men who shot at my family.

I pulled the trigger, gunning them down.

I sprinted towards the bodies of the people I just killed, hiding behind that tree, checking the area for other drifters.