• 22 •

T W E N T Y T W O

1 week later

A L E X A

I sat at a table at the hilltop. I had a knife in hand, twirling the tip slowly into the wood.

My face rested in my left hand. My body was still bandaged, but I could move around now.

I felt numb.

I felt coldness in the inside. That's all I felt. It was numbing.

I missed my dad terribly. All I could hear was his voice in my head. I wore his jacket and I hadn't left lucille in days.

I wore the jacket open so I wasn't so hot in it. Under the jacket I wore a normal shirt.

My eyes stared at the blade of my knife, seeing the reflection of my face in it. I had no expression.

My eyes were still puffy just a little from crying so much.

"Hey, Alexa." I heard footsteps come behind me. I didn't answer. I just kept twisting the knife.

"How are you?" They asked.
"Numb." I simply whispered.

"Do you want anything?" They stepped to the other side of the table. Jesus.

I just kept quiet.
"Just let her be... she's not feeling well." The only voice I was happy to hear sounded.
"Hi baby." Carl kissed the top of my head, then sat next to me.

I didn't greet him back. I just wanted to be left alone.

Though I needed all the comfort I could receive, I refused to accept any.

I needed it from my dad and that was something I couldn't get.

"How are your burns? Do they feel better?" Carl tucked strands of hair behind my ear, sending a warm feeling that I haven't felt for the past week.

I simply shrugged.
"Only a little bit of pain. Yours?" I whispered slightly, turning my head to look at Carl.

"Mine, too." He sent me a small smile, trying to make me feel better.

I studied his face. I knew he wanted nothing more than to just hold me and tell me everything would be okay. I could see it in his eye.

"Let's go get those stitches out." Carl stood up, holding his hand out. I stared at his hand for a few seconds, processing what he said.

"Come on, Alexa. They need to be taken out." Carl sighed. I nodded and put my hand in his, standing up.

Carl lead me upstairs to Maggie's room.
"Maggie?" Carl called out her name.
"Yeah Carl?" She appeared from her closet, ruffling her shirt.

"Stitches." Carl turned my head to show her they were still in my cheek.

"Oh, right. Come here honey." Maggie motioned me over towards her and patted on her bed.

I sat down on her bed and we went to her bathroom.
"It might feel a little weird, but I've just got to cut them out and remove them." Maggie shuffled through some stuff and came back in the room with a box.

She opened it, grabbing a pair of scissors and tweezers.

I sat there patiently, waiting for her to just take them out. She raised the scissors to my face and cut, then used the tweezers to remove.

It felt extremely weird. I shivered at the touch, the scissors and tweezers very cold.
"Sit still." Maggie instructed.

I just listened to her and sat still.