Chapter 11

"Ian! Stop!" Shana laughs as I hold her hips and pull her in for a kiss.

"No! You smell like onions!" She giggles.

Shana hates when I get onions on my half of the pizza. We've been dating for two months now and she still hasn't gotten used to my pizza topping preferences.

"Come on, babe give me a big one." I went in for a kiss, she turns her head and it ends up on her neck.

She pulls away from my grasp and playfully walks to the stereo and turns it on. Slow jazz fills the air as I sit on the couch and watch her dancing.

She motions her index finger towards me. "Come here."

"I thought we were going to watch a movie."

She dances her way to me, "but this is way more fun."

She pulls me up and leans her back up against my body, swaying her hips to the music. I put my arms around her and sink my head between her shoulder and her neck. Taking in her sweet essence. My phone rings, "Ugh."

She turns around and places her arms around my neck. "You know you don't have to answer every call."

"I know, its probably the office."

"But it's a Sunday."

I look down at my phone, it was Dr. Martinez. "It's Lian probably calling to update me about tomorrow's schedule. I'll be right back." I went out on the balcony because Shana still didn't know I have brain cancer. I didn't want her to hear my conversation between myself and the doctor.

"Yes, Dr. Martinez."

"Good afternoon Mr. Somers." I can hear papers rustling in the background. "I've looked through your most recent test results and it seems that the chemotherapy isn't working as it should. I need you to come in first thing tomorrow to go through other treatment options." I hang up the phone and squeeze it in my hand. My teeth clenched in anger. Nothing ever works out the way I want.

Am I going to die sooner now?

I lean back on the railing and watch Shana dancing inside.

I have to tell her the truth. It's not fair to her.

I turn around and stare at the buildings ahead.

But what if she leaves me? Who would want to be with a dying man?

I feel Shana's arms wrap around my waist from behind. I twist around and kiss her. The afternoon sunlight enhances the color of her brown eyes to honey. She looks so radiant.

"Are you all updated?" She asked, grabbing me tighter.

I pause, "Uh?"

"About work."

"Oh, yes I am."

Suddenly, she has a worried look on her face. "Ian? Oh my god, you're bleeding!"

"What?" I feel a warm liquid trickling down my lips. I touch it; my fingers were covered in blood. I knew that it had something to do with the tumor, so I hurried to the bathroom and lock the door behind me.

Shana knocks on the door frantically, "Ian? Are you okay? What's going on?" I didn't answer. I lean over the washbasin, letting the blood drip down the drain. Then I take some tissues, pinch my nose, and tilt my head back to stop the bleeding.

Moments later, Shana's constant knocking had ceased. I remove the bloody tissues from my nostrils and threw them away. Then I wash my face off with cold water and look at myself in the mirror. My shirt had droplets of blood on it, so I took it off.