Chapter 26

He did it, Mark did it, and he got in my head and fucked everything up. Now, I can't stop imagining Shana having a major depression after I'm gone.

Despite all that I was still going to meet up with Jon at Joe's. I pack up my things and left the office. I past Lian's desk when she suddenly stops me.

"Uh, Mr. Somers there's a call for you."

"Who is it?"

"It's Cynthia Connelly. She said it's important."

I glance at my watch, "I'm in a hurry. Lian, tell her I'll call her on my cell." I got in the elevator and dialed Cynthia's number. Her cheerful voice immediately answers the phone.

"Hello, Ian. How are you darling?"

"I'm okay. Is everything alright?"

"Everything's fine dear. You know last Thanksgiving morning Greg got up and started fixing that damn Harley and it annoyed me so much. So this year I was thinking we'll change things up a bit. How about for Thanksgiving, we come down and spend it with you and Shana?"

Oh no, Thanksgiving with the Connelly's. That should be fun.

"Uh sure, that'll be awesome."

"Great! I'll make the dinner and I'll make those cinnamon buns you used to like..."

Her words became a blur as my thoughts shifts to Shana and my diagnosis. Why the universe didn't gift Shana to me earlier? So I could get to spend more time with her, perhaps an eternity. I know what it feels like to lose someone close to you. Every day felt so empty and lonely and I didn't want that for her.

"Hello? Ian, you there?" Cynthia's voice ringing through my thoughts.

"Yes, I'm sorry. That sounds fun, Mrs. Connelly."

"No dear. Remember, call me Cynthia. We're family and we're always here for you sweetie."

"Sure, thank you. Shana and I will be happy to host you guys for Thanksgiving. See you then, Cynthia."

"Bye, dear." At Joe's, I sat at the booth by the glass window with Jon. He's hunching over his coffee, mixing it with a spoon, and staring down at it, like he's on another planet.

"What's up with you?" I asked signaling the waiter.

"Yes, what would you like?" the waiter asked.

"Uh, coffee, black. No cream, no sugar."

"Wait hold up." Jon stops the waiter. "Where's the pretty blonde that works here, uh Emily?"

"What?" I asked.

"She doesn't work here anymore, sir. I heard she working for a modeling agency now." He walks off.

Jon pushes his lips upward almost like he's proud of something. "See? I have an eye for those kinds of things. I told her that she was frigging hot and she took my advice. I'm a genius."

"Sure you are. Jon, what's up with you? You're acting weirder than usual."

He takes a sip of his coffee, "If you must know, Camelia dumped me. She said that I love critiquing other women too much. This is coming from a woman who loves having threesomes."

"What?"

"Yeah mostly the other person's a woman but I'm also open to the idea of a guy--"

"Woah too much info man, But I'll have to agree with her though. You do tend to gawk at other women a lot and comment on their appearance whether they want it or not. I would get why she's mad.." Jon stares at me widen eyes and his mouth slightly opens. "What's wrong?" I asked.