Chapter 13

We've been in Vegas for two hours now. Jon and I decided to go to the casino while the ladies are getting ready upstairs in the penthouse suite. We stood at the entrance, taking in all the sounds and bright colorful lights of the slot machines. The room was filled with people gambling and talking. Two cocktail waitresses dressed in very revealing black dresses, passed in front of us carrying waiters of alcohol.

Like a big kid, Jon's face lights up as he makes his way to one of the slot machines between two very serious men, one who's sucking on a cigar and the other focused on his machine. I followed him slowly with my hands in my pockets while watching other gamblers, some pushing buttons, others pulling levers, and the rest with cheering, sad or angry faces.

Jon pulls out a coin from his pocket and grins, "This is the lucky one." He then inserts it in the slot and pulls the lever. The three reels spin rapidly and slow. Jon held up his fist, anticipating to win but the reels did not match. He pulls out another coin and tries again, with each try was no luck. He then went over to another machine to try his luck but didn't prevail.

I took a seat next to him. "Aren't you gonna try one?" He asks.

"Why do I need to win money? I have all the money I could possibly want."

He shrugs, "'Cause it's fun."

"Maybe for you losing all your coins, I'll pass."

"Okay, grandpa." He said pulling the lever. The machine dings and handful coins fell out of it.

I furrow my brows at his remark, "I bet I can win a lot more money on blackjack."

A smirk appears on his face, "oh look who's balling. Now that's what I'm talking about."

I nervously look at a group of men around the blackjack table yelling and shouting. I walk up to the table knowing I have no chance of winning because I've never won anything in my life. Jon held on to my shoulders grinning like a frigging idiot. I sat down at the table while Jon stands behind me.

"Hit me," I said to the dealer, putting $500 on the table.

"Alright!" Jon said rubbing his palms together. The dealer looks at me with a stern face and starts dealing the cards.

"Dealer wins." He smirks. His smug demeanor made the corner of my eye twitch. I lay out more money on the table. He deals the cards again.

"Dealer wins...again."

"Son of a bitch." I muttered under my breath.

"Last bet?" He asks.

"Yeah," I replied looking in my wallet.

I got up and walk towards the bar, Jon jogged up behind me. "Dude, why aren't you betting?"

"I ran out of cash. Everything I have is on a card, plus it's a stupid game anyway. I wasn't planning on gambling tonight. I never carry large sums on me anyway. Maybe next time."

Jon calls the bartender, "Yo barkeep." A blonde guy with a man bun who's flirting with a young woman turns and looks our way. He gradually adjusts his rolled-up black sleeves before coming over to tend to us.

"What can I get you, gentlemen?"

"I'll have a Whiskey sour." Jon looks at me, "ah shit. I'm sorry man. I shouldn't be drinking around you."

"Jon, it's fine. I can be around alcohol. I have control. Go on enjoy yourself."

Control? I hope so.

Jon drank a lot of alcohol on the jet earlier. It was hard enough watching him drink then, but now it even harder now knowing that he's not going to stop anytime soon.