Chapter 42

I was nervous, the most I've ever been since I announced to the world that I was dying and resigning. My heart couldn't stop pounding; my throat felt like it was a desert. I hold her hand trying to control my anxiousness but I could feel that Shana was more nervous than I was by the way she squeezes my hand in hers. She looked at me with her honey eyes, maybe I should just focus on how she looked like a goddess in that dress or how her hair just seem to fall at the sides of her head so flawlessly. I tried, but a light chatter behind the door reminded me that there's a room with our closest friends and family waiting for our entrance.

"Are you ready?" Her eye smiling with that glint I like.

I nod, taking a deep breath filling my lungs with air. I open the door for Shana and followed. In my living room, I saw the Wells sitting on the couch, Greg and Cynthia sipping wine by the bar and Jon speaking with Daryl who flew out to visit us. They all stare at us with questioning eyes.

"Hi everyone, I guess you're all wondering why I invited all of you here tonight. Well Shana and I have some exciting news to share. Babe, you want to do the honors?" I smile at her, smiling back at me as she steps forward.

"Well, Ian and I are getting married!" She laughs while everyone face lights up. "And we're having a baby!" She looked down at her stomach and rubbed it revealing a little bump.

"I knew it!" Cynthia screams in excitement rushing towards Shana and hugging her. "I knew it. You were glowing and everything! How far along are you?"

"Three months."

"Congratulations sweetheart. You hear that Greg? We're gonna be Grandparents!" She laughs.

Greg approaches us. "Congratulations to the both of you." He hugs me and whispered, "Finally some good news." He hugs Shana, "Welcome to the family darling."

"Thank you Mr. Connelly."

Greg was right, the entirety of this year has been bad news after the next and it was certainly a breath of fresh air to finally give my family some uplifting news. Something to focus on, other than my diagnosis.

"You sly dog you." Jon came from behind while Greg and Cynthia walked away.

"What? Jon you knew about the pregnancy for weeks."

"Right."

"You told him?" Shana asks.

"I'm sorry Shana. Are you mad?"

"I'm not surprised. You always tell Jon everything. Maybe you should buy him a ring too."

Jon steps closer and put his arms around the both of our shoulders. His breath reeks of wine but there was something far too similar about his behavior. He was on a happy high, my friend Jon was on something. "Yeah, where's my ring Ian?" He laughs, "This is such a great time, you know? Everyone's here! Mr and Mrs C, my mom and dad and even your dad is here to Shana!" He points at Daryl walking towards us. "Hey Daryl. Shana I talked to your dad earlier and he's awesome. You're awesome Daryl."

Daryl smiles, "You're awesome too Jonathan."

"Okay Jon, I think it's time for you to have a seat." I took his arm off my shoulder.

"Yeah I think you're right. Hey Shana, I got you a surprise, not now though, later."

"Okay Jon, thank you." Jon walks off. "So, Daryl how's Olivia?"

"She's fine, she sends her best. She says sorry she couldn't make the trip, it's because of the new baby." He takes Shana's hand, "I'm so happy for you. You're building your own family." Daryl reaches forward and hugs Shana.