Chapter 32

When I found out that I was going to die, I imagined it would be somewhere in a hospital bed or in the comfort of my own home, but not like this. Not by the hands of Jake Hartley. He shoved the gun against my chest making me step back into the room as he followed. Shana screamed and run to hide behind me. Jake closes the door behind him and locks it. His eyes were frantic and glossy, he was breathing like he just ran a marathon.

"Ah, who is this?" He asks smiling at Shana.

"Jake, she has nothing to do with this. I'm the one you want." I put both of my hands up.

"You did this, No, no you did this, it's all your fault." He steps closer and Shana whimper at every step.

"Jake PLEASE, please put the gun down. Shooting me won't justify anything."

"So you think that you can just fuck my wife and die merrily, without me getting a turn at you? No, you're dying tonight!"

"Jake you don't have to do this."

"No I have to, I need to. You can't just go around, damaging people's lives without facing the consequences, Ian. So this right here, this is your consequence." He held on to the gun with both hands and focused it on us.

A knock on the door made him turn and point the gun in that direction. I quickly picked up a nearby vase and smashed it over his head. He stumbles a bit but did not block him out. He then holds his head with his free hand and continued pointing the gun at us. Blood ran down his forehead and ended below his eyes. He didn't look like Jake anymore but like a mad man. The door suddenly swings open; Jake spun around and shot at the person. I hurriedly took Shana's hand and we ran to lock ourselves in the bathroom.

Shana and I both got into the bathtub and hugged each other. I looked at her crying face trying to memorize every detail, thinking that tonight might be the last time I'm going to see her. Her body was shaking against mine. We sat quietly watching the door, hoping he wouldn't find a way to get inside.

The room was so silent, it was deafening. Then I saw the shadows of someone moving around from under the door, then a knock so loud it sounded like thunder. It made our bodies jump with fear. Shana held onto my shoulder crying, "Ian, I don't want to die."

"Open the door Ian and face me!" He rattled the doorknob.

"FBI, drop your weapon!" I heard a woman shouted.

"He has to pay!" Jake's voice said.

"You don't want to do that Jake." The voice said with more authority. "Put down your weapon now!" A gunshot fired, it echoed in our ears. Shana screams and I hugged her tighter than ever. Two more shots followed, and then I heard footsteps thumping around and a couple of people speaking.

Someone knocks on the door, "Ian Somers? I'm Detective Alene Winter from the FBI. It's safe for you to come out now."

I got up and looked at Shana who was still crouching down in the tub. I slowly walked to the door and twist the knob. A tall woman who stands six feet greeted me, "Mr. Somers are you alright?"

"I'm alright, but my girlfriend's a bit shaken up," I said going back to Shana hugging her.

"Come on let's get the both of you out of here." She said helping Shana to her feet.

We followed the detective out to the living room where Jake was lying on the floor with blood coming from his left shoulder and right leg. We stood in the corner and watched as the officers handcuffed him to the gurney and the EMTs took him away.

"Is he dead?" Shana managed to ask Detective Winter.

"No, but he's gonna wish he was dead from where he's going. Reeves?" She called one of the officers. A short man with the blondest goatee I've ever seen approaches us.