Chapter 1

"Honey, wake up its time for our run." My Dad stuck his head round my door as I yawned. It was currently 6am and school was starting again. Summer had been the best yet, I had spent endless nights with Emmitt, my boyfriend and days on end spent with my best friend, Lindsay. Despite spending all this time with the people I love, I had been waking up every morning to go for a run - I needed to maintain the perfect body seeing as Senior year was about to start.

After putting on some yoga pants and a sports bra, I headed out of my room and went downstairs where my dad was waiting already ready to run.

•••

"You beat me." My dad said as we stopped outside of our house, breathless from just sprinting up the road.

"Of course I did." I gave him a grin before walking inside.

"Good morning sweetie, how was your run?" My mom said as I got inside.

"I beat dad." I smiled as my dad walked through the front door, still breathless and red.

"I'm.. not... tired... I'm just.."

"Johnathan, She's tiring you out. You need to work out more." My mother joked receiving an eye roll from my dad.

"Anyways, I'm going to get ready for school." I smiled at both of them before making my way upstairs to my room. I had a small en suite and a walk-in closet in my room which made it easier for me to avoid my super over protective brother, Timothy.

"Kenzie!" Tim shouted from his room after I had a shower and got dressed into a plaid skirt and a tight black long sleeved body suit.

"What do you want?" I snap, walking out of my room and into his. When I get in there, there's a blonde girl sleeping beside him, with makeup smudged all over her face. I screw up my nose before looking at my half naked brother.

"I'm going to go have a shower, so please can you tell this girl that I had to go rescue some puppies." He whispers and I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

"Sure, but you owe me. Again."

"Yeah yeah.. quick before she wakes up." He quickly runs out of his bedroom and shuts the bathroom door behind him. At the same time, the girl starts to wake up and she feels the bed next to her, trying to see where Tim is.

"Morning." I say casually, looking at my nails.

"Morning? Where's Tim?" She asked me, sitting up.

"He went to go rescue some puppies then visit his girlfriend." I shrug. He didn't exactly tell me to say the last bit but I added it on for effect.

"Girlfriend?" She asked, wide eyed, getting dressed as I looked away.

"Yeah, girlfriend."

The girl looked slightly hurt as she ran out of the room and out the house. As soon as the front door slammed shut, Timothy came out.

"What did you say to her?"

"Oh nothing.. just that you were going to visit your girlfriend."

"Mackenzie! I told you to tell her I was rescuing puppies." He brushed his hand through his now dripping wet hair and sighed.

"Oh, don't get me wrong big bro, I said you were rescuing puppies." I smirked before closing the door behind me as I walked out.

"Hey Lindsay." I say answering my cell phone.

"I'm outside waiting for you."

"Coming." I hang up the phone before grabbing my bag and running out of the house to Lindsay's convertible.

"Took your time." Lindsay says as I buckle up my seatbelt.

"Tim had a girl round and I had to cover for him."

"Why doesn't he live in a dorm at college?" Lindsay says and she pulls out of my driveway.

"I don't know." I sigh.

Tim was starting college yet he's still living at home - not even bothering to move into a college dorm. He was the favourite child so my parents didn't care where he stayed as long as he stayed in college.

"So... you coming to cheer practice after school?"

"Yeah, I need to leave early because I have track at four thirty."

"What?! That leaves us with only 45 minutes of cheer practice with you and we can't do the lift without you."

"I'm sorry Lindsay but I have a comp in a few weeks, I need to train."

Lindsay huffs, tightening her grip on the steering wheel. Lindsay was the captain of  the cheer team and everyone knew about it. Being her bestfriend, we have been known to be quite popular throughout school but the reality of it all... I hate cliches, they're so cliché. My high school certainly has certain cliches but one that is my least favourite... the super hot bad boys aka the assholes in my dictionary.

"Did you hear me Kenzie?" Lindsay said glancing at me.

"Sorry, what was that?"

"I said, we'll have extra practice at lunch to do the lift. Be there or be square." She said turning into school and heading to our regular parking space.

•••

"Hey Mackenzie." Some pretty girl says to me as she walks past. I smile in reply.

"Love the outfit Kenzie." Another girl says and I thank her.

"They're way too far up your ass." Lindsay says, texting someone.

I roll my eyes before noticing Emmitt waiting for me at my locker.

"Hey Babe." He said kissing my forehead.

"Hey." I smile, unlocking my locker.

"So I was thinking..." He wrapped his arms round my waist and his lips brushed against my ear, "we could hang out during free period." I smiled before closing my locker and turned to face him.

"I would love too." I wrapped my arms round his neck and pressed my lips against his.

"Ahem. Love birds, can you take that somewhere else I'm trying to ring George and it's hard to hear him with your lips smacking together." Lindsay says with her phone pressed up against her ear, looking at herself in the mirror hung up in her locker. I totally forgot she was there and I pulled away from Emmitt but he kept his arm round my waist.

"Oh em gee, walking gods coming this way." Lindsay pulled up her skirt and looked at herself one last time before looking at the assholes walking down the corridor.

"Hey Ryder." She said dreamily to the tall brown haired boy.

"Lindsay." He nodded as he walked past. He glanced at me for a second which made Emmitt pulls me closer.

"Jackass." I heard Emmitt mumble which made me smirk - just as I do so, the bell rings.

"I better get to homeroom. I'll see you later." I say to Emmitt. He pulls me in and kisses me deeply before pulling away.

"See you later babe." He winks and adjusts his backpack on his shoulder. I watch as he walks off down the corridor in his blue and white varsity jacket.

I turn around and see Lindsay already gone so I make my way to homeroom.