Chapter 19

When I got home that night, I ignored my dad at dinner as well as my snakey brother. However, I had a lovely conversation with my mom about Lindsay and her new relationship with my ex boyfriend.

"Mackenzie... can we talk?" Tim asked as he knocked on my bedroom door.

"What?" I sat up from lying down and paused the show I was watching.

"What's up with you lately?"

"Nothing." I tell him bluntly and he sits on the end of my bed.

"Are you still mad at me for last week?"

"No."

"Then what is it?"

I took in a deep breath before saying "Dad is cheating on mom. I saw him making out with a woman in his car this morning."

His eyes widen and he stands up.

"You're joking right?"

"Why would I joke about that Tim?"

"Fucking hell." He mumbles under his breath. "I'm going to tell her... I have to."

"No! Tim don't."

"I'm sorry Mackenzie... I'll just say I saw him ok?"

I nodded as he walked out of my room.

That evening, I heard my parents talking with my mom shouting every so often. I tried blocking it out with my music.

•••

"Good morning sweetie." My mom said as I came down the stairs. She looked normal apart from her expression was slightly sadder.

"Morning." I smiled at her. Soon after, my dad came down the stairs and kissed my mom who kissed back. I frowned before grabbing my school bag and walking out of the house.

"Did you tell your mom?" Ryder asked me in chemistry.

"I told Tim who told my mom... but the thing is, she wasn't mad at him this morning.. she kissed him and acted normal."

Ryder furrowed his eyebrows together in confusion. "Maybe they had makeup sex."

I slapped his arm and rolled my eyes.

•••

"Mom?" I called out when I got in. I saw Tim sat at the breakfast bar looking at a piece of paper.

"Where's mom?" I asked him.

He passed me the paper and I read it.

Kids,
Your father and I have gone on a 2 week retreat to sort out a few things. If you have any trouble at home, ring your aunt or there's always Frank next door.
See you soon.
Mom and dad

"What the hell?" I say putting the paper down. "So dad cheats on mom and they go on a 2 week vacation... did I miss something?"

"They're probably going on one of them counselling retreats." Tim shrugs.

"Probably.."

"Do you know what this means?" Tim grins and I sigh, "Party!!!!"

"Can I invite my friends?" I smile.

"No."

"Pleeeeeeaseeee."

"You can invite that Ella girl." He wiggles his eyebrows and I roll my eyes.

•••

"Everyone, this is Mackenzie." Ella introduces me to her friends as they sit on the lunch table. They all give me a welcoming smile.

"This is Georgia." Ella pointed towards a dark haired girl who was very pretty and small.

"Annie." The strawberry blonde girl smiled at me and said hi.

"And Hannah." She was asian and extremely pretty.

"Hi guys."

We had a conversation for a while whilst eating lunch until we came across the subject of parties.

"So my brother is having a party this friday. It's a college party though. Do you guys wanna come?"

They all look at each other and grin.

"We'd love to come." Annie said, "please tell me that there will be some gorgeous boys there."

"There will be some gorgeous boys there." I reassure them and Georgia silently cheers making me laugh.

"Hey babe." Axel said sitting next to Ella.

"Hey." She replied.

"What are you ladies talking about."

"Mackenzie's brother is having a party this friday and she has invited us." Hannah wiggled her eyebrows.

"A party? Are we invited?" He grinned evily.

"I mean... you guys don't really have a good track record with my brother sooo..."

Axel laughed quietly before nodding. "True."

The rest of lunch went by quickly as us girls just spoke about random things that seemed to come on topic suddenly.