Chapter 18

"Ryder. Can we please just talk about Friday night." I whisper, as I walk beside him down the corridor of school.

"There's nothing to say about it." He shrugs, pulling me into the janitors closet.

"Wh-"

He pulls me in and kisses me again. The lips I had craved since Friday night were finally on mine again and I smiled slightly.

"No one can know about this." He mumbles, resting his forehead against mine.

"What?"

"No one can-"

"Yeah I heard you... but why?"

"Because they can't... not even Ella."

"But why?" I ask and he steps away, turning around so his back is to me.

"For godsake Mackenzie-"

"Okay okay you don't have to get all moody." I say brushing my hands through my hair, "I prefer the playful Ryder."

He turns and raises an eyebrow before looking at me.

"The playful Ryder?" He smirks and I nod.

"You know.. like how you were on Friday night." I shrug, looking at the floor.

Just as he took a step towards me, the bell went off and we both sighed in sync.

"I'll see you at lunch?" I ask him and he nods before I walk out of the closet.

"Woah... Why were you in the janitors closet and why did Ryder come out of it straight after." Ella says walking beside me.

"We were just talking about Friday night." I shrug, playing it off.

"Oh yeah where did you go? You missed where everyone drunkenly sang Happy birthday."

"I need to tell you something in private." I tell her and she nods before we both walk into class.

At lunch, I sat down in between Jeremiah and Ella with Brendan sat directly opposite me and Ryder beside him.

Axel and Blake were out somewhere so it felt a little quieter having the 2 loudest people gone.

"Are you gunna eat that?" Ryder asks me as he looks at my pizza slice and licks his lips. I smile before taking a bite.

He glares at me and I give him a sarcastic smile.

As I put my half eaten slice down on my tray, Ryder quickly steals it and Jeremiah nudges me discreetly.

"Asshole." I tell him and he grins before eating MY pizza slice. Meanwhile, Brendan and Ella are talking about something - with Brendan giving me a glance every so often.

When the bell rings, Jeremiah catches up to me when I stop at my locker.

"What was that at lunch?" He asks me and I shrug. "Come on Kenzie, you two were flirting."

"No we weren't."

"You so were-"

"What are you two talking about?" Ella asks, coming up to us.

"Nothing." I give Jeremiah a glare and he crosses his arms.

"Anyways Mackenzie, I wanna show you to my friendship group."

"I thought your friendship group was the one you're always in."

"I mean yeah but I can have other friends."

"True." I say as we walk to class.

•••

"Kenzie!" Brendan shouts as I walk down the steps of the school. I walk up to him and give him a smile.