Liyah's Journal: May 1973

I knew once I heard the sound of that woman's heels clicking down the hall that they were leading her to me. I could feel it at the bottom of my stomach. Deep in my bones. Today was the day. We were meeting them. When Mrs. Wilkinson told me and Aleena that there was a great chance that we wouldn't have to be separated and sent to different foster homes, I didn't know how to feel about that. Me and Aleena aren't like the Race Sisters, joined at the hip. Refusing to be apart. We don't have that kind of bond. Never have, never will. So, when Mrs. Wilkinson sat us down last week with her big bright eyes widening in excitement. I was suspicious. When she told us that we had two aunts who lived in the Harlem neighborhood down in Manhattan, I was skeptical. Grandma never told me she had two other daughters. And of course, Danielle wasn't going to say anything because of her certain circumstances. How do I even know that this is legit? That was the only question that crossed my mind when she was telling us about them. How do I know this is my blood kinfolk?

All I know is their names. Sasha Haughton and Liana Haughton. I thought they were dykes at first. And I asked if they were too. Mrs. Wilkinson said, 'No, they're sisters.' And my thought was, what are two grown sisters doing living together? They must be really close. Mrs. Wilkinson said that they were nurses. So, I know they got money to live by themselves. I guess they just enjoy each other's company.

I had everything packed up. Which wasn't much, by the way. Just a backpack and my journal. Everything else is left at that place. Probably gone now. I don't mind it, because I knew just the smell of everything would remind me of the place and I don't want to remember it. I keep wondering if I should be happy about all this. Melvin leaving. Danielle going to jail. Me and Aleena being in this foster home. Meeting aunts I didn't know existed. I keep wondering if should be glad about all this change. I don't. I'm not happy, but I'm not sad either. I'm not excited or scared. I'm not worried. I'm not really anything.

I don't know how Aleena feels. We haven't talked much since CPS came and picked us up. Actually, no, we haven't talked much at all lately. Just a couple of words and that's it.I think she doesn't want to get her hopes up. Maybe that's how I feel too. I remember she was excited to meet Danielle when we first moved in with them. I wasn't, but she was. I wonder if she was disappointed. After all, that excitement just so it could be nothing but a giant let down, I would be too. Maybe she was just as suspicious as I was about these aunts we didn't know nothing about until a week ago. I don't know and I still don't. We both have been pretty quiet all day.

I was making my bed when Mrs. Wilkinson knocked on the door and told me they were there to pick us up. I told her okay and grabbed my backpack from the floor and put it on my back. I wear jeans and a T-Shirt today. A jacket to cover up my scars. They hurt. But somehow, I feel better. I clutched onto the sleeves and curled them into my hand. Mrs. Wilkinson gave me a smile, that touched her wrinkled eyes. Then she asked me if I was ready. Did I really have a choice?