Chapter 38: Sick and Twisted

Alana's POV

I could feel his eyes burning a hole into the back of my neck. Demanding for me to turn around and answer the demanding the question that had thrown itself from his mouth thirty seconds ago. A session I had been dreading to hear for the past year. I felt my heart racing as I twiddled my thumbs.

I had no solid answer.

"Alana," he said, sharply.

I pressed my lips together and inhaled deeply through my nose. My stomach began turning flips inside of me as I rubbed my sweaty palms together. I felt hot and nauseous. Like I was going to faint right into the carpeted floor that I was wiggling my toes in.

"Is she mine?" He asked again.

I closed my eyes and held my breath. Leena warned me this would happen. I should have listened to her. I should have listened to a lot of people actually. Liyah always said that there was no point in saying you should have done something when it comes to bite you in the ass. It won't change anything at all. Only make you feel worse. She was right, too.

It was clear that I had two smart sisters. One may be smarter than the other, but they were smart. It was evident that I didn't get that particular gene.

Very reluctantly, I swallowed the lump that was growing in my throat and turned to face his hard expression. I found myself shrugging my shoulders. "I-I....uh....I don't know."

"What?" He scoffed.

"You knew that, Jermaine." I sighed. He was being dramatic.

"I woulda thought you'd test her by now."

"Why?" I asked, feeling my nerves transform to frustration. "You didn't seem to have any interest in her before."

"And you think Randy does?"

His head fell to the side. "Randy ain't nothin' but a fool. He ain't got no business raising a kid."

I grabbed my hips, "And you do?" Leaning against the dresser, I crossed my arms. "Need I remind that you were sleeping with four different women over the course of five years?"

"I ain't sleeping with nobody now."

"Margie," I challenge.

"We not together no more."

Slowly, my expression fell and I found myself staring at the tan walls. "You're not?"

I heard the sound of his feet shuffling through the carpet as he took a step closer to me. "No, we not."

"What about the baby?"

"Jeremy?"

I met his gaze then, "Is that his name?"

He nodded his head.

"He's a year old now," I stated softly.

He nodded his head again.

"So, why didn't and Margie work out?" I rolled my head to the other side. Seeing past his head to the large window wall that looked out New York City. "I thought you'd get married or something."

Jermaine sucked his teeth, "I didn't like her like that. I wasn't trying to get her pregnant, either."

"You know they have condoms for a reason, right?" I looked back at his irritable face.

"Look, I ain't come all the way over here for you to give me life lessons."

"Then why did you come over here, Jermaine?" I asked, crossing my arms.