Chapter 2: Who Is It?

Los Angeles, CA

January 16, 1987

Leena's POV

"It seems like...it was just yesterday that I had met Liyah. She was only sixteen years old." Quincy stood in front of everyone that sat in the grand dinning area of the Hilton Hotel. He held a wine glass in one hand and the microphone in the other as he smiled down at my sister who was sitting next to me. " A mean little thing she was," he continued with a chuckle. " With the....sassiest attitude I've ever encountered. "

The room was filled with laughter from many of the guests and our team. All of us agreeing on one of her most obvious personality traits.

"God, I was scared to have a conversation with her, because she knew how to get to you. One way or another. She could get to you. I think that was one of the things that made me notice her. I knew she had the talent—no doubt—but it was the way she knew how to use it. She could pull on everyone's attention just by using her voice, and that is what makes her special." His eyes became wide with excitement. " And I am proud to announce to you that your songs Run, Toy Soldiers, and Masterpiece, from the soundtrack have all made billboard top one hundred."

There were gasps that soon followed by applauding.  Q began clapping obnoxiously for her. " Congrats, girl!"

Liyah smiled shyly at him as she shook her head from side to side.

"Li, I know you hate being the center of attention. And I know you can't stand people putting you out there to be perfect, but I want you to know that I am proud of your many accomplishments with the group, and with your first movie. "He held his glass up in the air. " So we'll make a toast to Jelly, for her accomplishments and her birthday. This is only the beginning of what's going come."

"To Jelly!" Everyone said at once as they began to applaud her.

"I know he did not just call me by that name," she said. Jelly was a nickname that Quincy had given Liyah because Michael always referred to things she liked as being "smelly jelly", and would often call Mike Smelly.

I placed my arms around her. " Aww come on, Li! Lighten up. This is your night. I mean, the movie was a blockbuster hit! And it's your birthday!"

Her green eyes met mine. " I know, I know. I just didn't expect a celebration for it."

"Well, Li. It's worth celebrating." I smiled widely at her. " I'm proud of you, sis."

The small smile she carried grew into a bigger one as she cocked her head to the side. " Thank you, Lee."

Just about a year ago, we had performed a hit singles for our album at the American Music Awards. It was personal songs that Liyah had written that also became the title of our third studio album. Anyways, the performance was emotional on her part and it touched nearly everyone in the audience. I don't think there was a single dry eyes that existed audience. The anger, pain, and frustration in the lyrics was too much for people to handle, but it was nothing compared to the album itself. Liyah opened up about her child hood, and we opened up more about our lives in general. Basically stating that we all had been through some shit before we became who we are.