Chapter 47: Life and Death

Liyah's POV

There was an electrifying shock that shot through my bones like lightning. It made them jitter and shake and I felt my heart pumping between my breasts at an unnatural rate. It took a second--a small millimeter of a second and I shot up with air quickly feeling my dry lungs. I breathed heavily as I grasped my rapidly beating heart. Trying to catch my breath like it had been stolen from me. I felt like I was suffocating. 

As the next few seconds passed by, my raw eyes frantically glanced around my surroundings. There was nothing there. There were no walls. No furniture. Nothing. Nothing but darkness to accompany me as I tried to make sense of what was going on. If there was anything that was going on. The room--the place stood still. As if the world had stopped and I was frozen in time. 

More seconds passed and my breathing was slowly coming to normal. I swallowed the dry lump that had formed in my throat and sat up. I took another glance around the area. It was quiet, but only for a moment. I began to hear something familiar. Something that I had grown to know all too well. Humming. The humming of that little boy. I instantly stood to my feet and searched the darkness for him. His eerie hums sounded so close, but yet, so far away. I took a few steps forward as hesitation filled my chest. It was too dark. I couldn't see. I planted my feet there and listened to his voice as I anticipated where it was coming from. 

My ears were leading me towards the area that was behind me, and I slowly turned in the opposite direction. "Where are you?" I whispered. I knew he'd hear me. He always did. 

Suddenly, the humming came to a stop and I heard his quiet little footsteps walking towards me. Light suddenly unveiled the area and I found myself standing in the middle of a glossy white hallway in front of a blood red door. I stared at it curiously. It was strange. There something awfully familiar about it. My eyes fell to its shiny golden knob and I soon felt the gravity of my curiosity slowly pull my hand towards the knob. My fingertips brushed against the smooth surface and it made them tingle. There was something about this door that was drawing me to it.

I took a deep breath and started for it, but then was stopped by his small hand. I looked down at his small face and watched his he shook his head. 

Wait a minute. He has a face?

For months, I had seen him walk my dreams and I had never seen his face. Because he never had one until now. I swear he never I eyed him in disbelief as he big round eyes stared back at me. A couple of seconds passed and a small closed mouth smile appeared on his face. Two deep dimples made a shy appearance. He shook his head and began to tug on my hand. 

"Who are you?" I asked. It was a question that I had been asking him.

Of course, he never answers. He only continues to tug at my arm. I stumble forward and began taking small steps in the direction he was leading me. "Right," I mumbled to him. "You don't talk unless you're being creepy." The memory of the dream of him in Ari's bedroom flooded into my mind.

When he didn't respond again, I rolled my eyes. "Could you at least slow down?" This kid was dragging me through the hall. I could barely keep up with him. "Hey, little dude, I know you can talk." He lifted his brown eyes at me and smiled for a split second and then let it fade. My face fell in response to that. "That's cute," I told him. "But seriously, where are you taking me?"

Very abruptly, he stopped in his tracks and rolled his eyes. It was strange because it reminded of when I got on Michael's nerves. He would roll his eyes with the same annoyed expression. Then very sullenly, he turned to me with his lips pressed into a hard line and pointed towards something.