Chapter 52: Revived

Leena's POV 

"Do you know what happened to her?" I finally asked as I watched her connect tubes and wire to my mother with shaky hands. 

Of course, it took a moment for her to respond. "No," she said with a sigh. "We'll have to run some tests. 

I looked at Momma, lying on the bed--sleeping. Her shallow heartbeat was being monitored.

I was standing in the hospital room where my momma now laid on the bed. She was okay. She wasn't in a coma. She wasn't on a breathing machine. She just laying there. Sleeping. That part was a relief for me because in secret I was worried out my mind about Liyah. I just didn't show it around Sasha or Miguel or Michael. I felt I had to remain strong for everyone and keep everything together. Everything would just be a complete mess if everyone was running around like chickens with their heads chopped off. And I knew that Liyah wouldn't want everyone moping around worried about her. I knew that if it was me in that hospital bed, she would be the one being strong for everyone else, too. That was just the kind of person she was.

I wondered how she did it--being strong. It was hard. Trying to hold everything together when really all you want to do is break. Smiling for everyone and pretending to be okay when you're not. Liyah was the queen of pretending. She could put on a show like a pro, and be dead on the inside and no one would even know. That's what I was trying to do. Every day I would come to the same hospital and look into the same tired eyes. Telling them the same thing over and over again. "She's going to be okay." and "Hopefully, there will be a change tomorrow". But everyday everything was the same.

Because of this, I wasn't sure if I would be able to deal with two of my family members being in the hospital and not knowing whether or not they are going to live or die. If that was the case with Momma, I know I would break down. It would be too much. I just got her back. When I saw her lying on that cold hard floor, shaking uncontrollably and foaming at the mouth, I panicked. I had never seen anyone have a seizure before, but I guess having too aunts that were registered nurses turned out to be a good thing. Sasha's lectures on what to do when someone has a seizure walked me through the whole process until police showed up. They took over from there and rushed her to the hospital. I had no intention of being here until that happened. My plan was for Alana to meet Momma so that she could help me find out how to tell Liana that I brought her back to America.

Well, Alana has met her and now Liana knows she here. Which explains why she looks so nervous. I watched as she turned on the machine that took patients blood pressure and then swiftly turned to her clipboard where she started to record everything down. The room was in total silence.

I took a glance around the pale pink room that looked no different to the green one Liyah was lying in around the corner. There was a chair pushed against the wall to the right. I walked over to it and sat down. I watched Liana some more. Her hands were still shaking. She looked like she was having problems concentrating.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah," she said dryly as she looked at the machine.

I looked back at Momma, her chest was slowly rising up and down. "So, are you gonna tell me how you did it?" My eyes flickered over to her. "And why?" She knew exactly what I was talking about.

I watched as Liana lost her firm grip on her pen and let it lazily become trapped between her fingers. She let out a long and piercing sigh and closed her eyes before looking up at me. "This isn't good," she whispered whilst looking up at me. "She can't be here."

"Why?" I asked.

Liana looked around the room and quickly jotted something down on Momma's file. "Follow me into the hall," she said to me as she stuffed the folder inside clipboard. Very cautiously, I stood to my feet, eyeing her suspiciously as she held the door open for me. "There are investigators crawling around on this floor," she began once we were in the hall. "According to Liyah's files, Danielle is her mother and she's deceased." Her brown eyes were wild and frantic. "If they see her here...."