Chapter 24: This Christmas (Part 1)

Seven Months Later
December 24, 1987
Leena's POV

I stopped in my tracks and sighed when I found Liyah sitting on a bench inside the studio booth, writing lyrics down in a large notebook. I didn't understand what she was doing there. Our album was finished as of last month. We had just finished our promotional tour just two days before and here she was back in the studio, writing, instead of relaxing and enjoying the holidays like any normal person.

She was such a workaholic.

I invited myself into the room, allowing the sound of her strong vocals fill my ears

I invited myself into the room, allowing the sound of her strong vocals fill my ears. Her mind was so focused on the words that she was writing that she didn't even see me enter. I think her voice and the piano was the only thing that she heard. "I guess it's funnier from where you're standing...'cause from over here I missed the joke." Her fingers slowly danced across the keys. "Clear the way for my crash landing. I've done it again. Another number for your notes..."

Her eyes flickered up when she finally saw me walking across the carpeted floor. Her eyebrows creased as she began to wonder why I was there.

"What are you doing?" I asked her as I leaned on the piano.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm working?" She said.

"On Christmas Eve, Liyah?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I have to get this last song recorded before the album is released."

"Liyah, the album is done now. I'm sure it will be fine without that one little song."

Her hazel eyes met mine then, as she frowned at me with disapproval. There was no makeup on her face at all. She looked tired and worn out. As if she hadn't slept in years. She had her hair pulled back in a ponytail with a scarf wrapped around her head. She looked a hot mess. I didn't even want to know what she was wearing. "This one little song will probably make this album golden, Aleena. I'm telling you, it'll be perfect for it."

"So, you actually have to spend Christmas Eve in the studio recording it?" I asked, crossing my arm.

"I don't have much time before we submit it to CBS. It has to be ready." She began playing the piano again and singing the lyrics from where she left off.

I pursed my lips at her and shook my head. I knew exactly what she was doing. It was the holidays and she was trying to avoid seeing Sasha as we usually did at this time of the year. We'd usually spend the whole day with her and Liana and the rest of the girls as we did in Harlem. It was kinda a traditional type of thing. Liyah was still pissed at her and she still wasn't talking to her. It had been seven whole month since Sasha's bones were released from the closet and Liyah's stubborn ass still had not forgiven her yet. Even with her father very much in her life now. She didn't care. It was like Sasha never even existed in her life. The thing was, once you break Liyah's trust...she holds it against you forever. There was no turning back. Even for her own biological mother.