The other Brother

Picture of Damon^

Emma Stallings

After last night I never wanted to crawl out of bed ever again. I never wanted to see Stefan again and I DAMN SURE never wanted to come across that Damon guy. He just seemed so dangerous and bad. Stefan didn't appear that way to me. Stefan seemed sweet and protective, but if he's the same thing as Damon then he must have a part of him that could act that way too.

I'd stayed up all night trying to convince myself that what I'd saw was just some drunken hallucination, but I knew that wasn't true. Damon and Stefan Salvatore were vampires. Actual vampires.

I still couldn't believe Damon killed Nathan. Why did he protect me and then turn around and threaten the people I love? How did he even know about Carter and I?

And what about Vicki? He was probably behind the attack on her too. Would that have been me if I hadn't gotten away?

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Caroline:meet me at the grill in 15 ;)

Caroline wanted us to meet her at the grill in 15 minutes. How was I supposed to face Elena after all the things I'd learned about Stefan? What if I saw Matt, or Tyler, or Jeremy? How could I face them when I was almost positive I knew exactly what happened to Vicki yet letting them believe it was an animal?

I couldn't tell them the truth even if I wanted to. Who would believe that a drunk girl actually saw a vampire?

This was all so horrible. I felt like I was losing my mind. If I don't show up to hangout with Caroline and the girls they'll want to know why and then I'll be forced to lie to them for Carter's sake. I'll just have to suck it up. I need to act exactly like my normal self, full of sass and jokes.

When I got to the grill everything seemed normal. I was the last one there and the girls had already been talking and laughing it up which was good. I wouldn't be forced to start any conversations to avoid talking about Stefan.

"Hey girls, what are we talking about?" I asked with a big smile on my face, trying to act as if nothing was wrong.

"Caroline was just telling us about the mystery guy she saw here last night". Bonnie said.

"Ohhhh." I purred. "You know I'm pretty skilled in the seduction department." I giggled.

"Yeah this ones off limits." Caroline said with squinty eyes and a slight chuckle.

We laughed as we usually do. "What was he like?"

"Hot. Super hot." She said looking up into the sky as if she were picturing his face. He had real dark hair. BEAUTIFUL eyes. I could've looked into those eyes all day long."

Caroline went on to describe him in great detail but I knew immediately who she'd met. Damon. The way she described his eyes gave it all away.

I felt a twinge of discomfort imagining them around each other, and suddenly my cheerful mood changed. "What if he hurt her? This was probably his way of showing me he could reach anyone I cared about if I told his secret.

"Maybe you should stay away from him Caroline" I said.

Everybody at our table looked at me confused.

"Why would I do that? I just told you how much I liked the guy and you think I should stay away? For no reason?" She said in an aggressive tone.

"I just think dark, mysterious, loner guys from the bar aren't always the best people to date. What if he's dangerous?" I explained.