Bad moon rising

I spent the rest of last night sulking and flipping around over and over in my bed. Thoughts of Damon continued to race through my mind all night long as I tried to think of what to do. Damon killed my brother. Granted, he came back to life, but still. How could I forgive him for that?

Yet for some unexplainable reason, I found myself trying to protect him last night, again. Why do I keep this man in my life? He's awful, and selfish, and borderline psychotic, but then he had these rare little moments where he's kind and protective. He keeps me on my toes, and it's exciting.

"So you're going on a trip to find information about your birth mother?" Trystan asked from the other side of the booth.

"Yeah, pretty much. I recently found out that I'm related to this psycho bitch, and I'm trying to learn about family history stuff to trace our ties back." I told him, giving him as much information as I could.

"Who is this girl?" He asked.

"Her name is Katherine. She's a super bitch, and she's the one Damon was with when we stopped by the other night." I said puckering my lips out awkwardly.

"Yikes. Okay then. I guess he likes to keep it in the family tree." Trystan joked.

I couldn't help but laugh at the irony. "You have no idea how close he likes his women." I said rolling my eyes and taking a sip of my coffee.

"Anyway, so Elena told me she was coming on this trip with us, but then we hit a little snag." I explained. "Girl drama. Nothing too serious. Anyways, Elena had to cancel to deal with that. Alaric is coming because my dead mother is his ex-wife, and then here's the real problem: Damon is coming." I grumbled.

"I think I know how to fix your little Damon issue." He said smiling at me suggestively.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well here's the thing. You like him. He said he liked you and then ripped your heart out by sleeping with this Katherine girl right? Show him you're moved on too. Show him he doesn't matter." Trystan suggested.

This was an interesting idea. Damon had been tormenting me the past few months, toying with me, pretending to like me just to end up with Katherine anyways. Maybe moving on would be good for me.

"But how am I ever going to move on from him? I'm not even close to being over him." I grumbled.

"Look, you don't have to actually move on. Just let him think you have. I have an idea." Trystan said smiling at me with wild eyes.

Trystan's enthusiasm made me feel a knot of excitement in my stomach. After he explained his plan to me, I felt almost exhilarated. We began driving over to the Salvatore Boarding House as we discussed the plans to show Damon just how over him I was. No matter what he said or what he did I had to convince him that I couldn't care less about him.

"You ready?" He asked smiling at me as we stepped out of the car. Without saying a word I nodded my head and started walking towards Alaric's car.

"You don't have to do this you know? If it's too hard you can just stay here and we'll go hangout at the grill or something." He said and I could see he was genuinely concerned.

"I think it'll be good for me you know? I'll learn about my mom, get this drama taken care of, all good things." I said nodding my head at him.

We kept walking until we finally saw Damon leaning against Ric's car.

"Sorry you can't come too, man. Big kids only." Damon said trying to make Trystan feel inferior. What a pathetic little shit.

I threw my bags in the car, and gave Damon my best go to hell look.