Brave new world

Trystan^^

Emma Stallings

Elena and I stayed up the entire night watching over Carter in shifts. Nobody understood how exactly the ring worked, and we weren't about to take any chances.

How could Damon do this? Was it not enough that he'd broken my heart? He had to make it worse by attempting to murder my brother?

Stefan was convinced Damon must've seen the ring on his finger, and usually I was all for believing in Damon, but not this time. I knew better. He had no idea Carter was wearing the ring. He simply lucked out.

"Katherine looked just like you, it was freakish." Bonnie said, pulling me from my thoughts.

"She is my ancestor." I sighed.

"Your vampire ancestor, and she didn't just resemble you like a family member would. She was you." Bonnie explained. Even after all this time, we still didn't know the real reason Katherine looked like Elena and I. All I knew was that it made my life hell.

"I don't know, I can't explain it. It's creepy as hell, that's all I got." I grumbled.

"How do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you?"

"I don't but I could sit here and be tortured by the not-knowing or I could get over it and move on with my life." I said irritably.

"Have you talk to Damon since he killed Carter or tried to kill Carter?" Bonnie asked, continuing to push me for more and more answers.

" No Bonnie, I haven't and I won't and I don't want to talk about Damon or anymore vampire shit. I'm human. And I have to do human stuff. Otherwise, I'm going to go crazy." I said as I started setting up the prizes for the ring toss.

"Okay, I'm sorry, I'll focus. We have to make Caroline proud or she will kill us. I don't know how she does all of this." Bonnie said looking at all of the work that still needed to be done. This carnival was clearly going to be a pain in the ass.

"Well because she's not human, obviously." I teased.

In the distance I could see Carter, Jeremy, and Stefan all talking in the corner.

"Excuse me for a minute." I said to Bonnie as I walked toward them.

"It protects me from compulsion?" Jeremy asked.

"Vervain is toxic to vampires."

"Like poison?" Carter asked.

"Yeah, it's very poisonous. It keeps them out of your head."

"It also burns the shit out of evil neck snapping monsters." I chimed in from behind them. The entire group turned to face me as their sympathetic eyes studied my face searching for any sign of sadness.

" A stake to the heart works too right?" Jermey asked.

Without saying a word, Stefan nodded his head, confirming Jeremy's question.

"You're pretty confident in yourself telling me all the different ways I could kill you." Jeremy chuckled.

"Jeremy, if I thought the two of you wanted to kill me we would be having a much different conversation." Stefan said.

"Yeah, Damon is the one that deserves it." Carter mumbled.

"I want you guys to forget about Damon, alright? He's hundred times stronger than you and right now he's not stable. You got to try to move forward." Stefan said to all of us, but his eyes remained on me. Damn. Try to kill a guy ONCE and they distrust you forever.