The dinner party

Picture of Emma and Elijah^

Emma Stallings

"The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence." Jenna said pointing into the distance as we walked down the sidewalk. Jenna decided to give Elijah a tour of the town for the "book" he's writing. She insisted that I tag along and stop moping over Damon and Andie, so that's exactly what I planned to do.

"Ah, the Fells. One of the Founding Families." Elijah sighed to me as Jenna walked a bit ahead of us. Only I had heard his comment, but it made me chuckle.

"Why do you say it like that?" I asked. He was one of the oldest people on Earth. If he said other people were here first, I'd take his word for it.

"This area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. It was a migration of townsfolk from the northeast, um, it was Salem, to be precise." Elijah explained sounding very scholarly. Spending time with him had been fun so far. He was smart, polite, kind... the complete opposite of Damon, and so far, I had only thought of Damon and Andie a hand full of times which was progress.

"Massachusetts? As in the witch trials?" I asked. He nodded.

"Which means the ever-lauded founding families...didn't actually found anything." He said looking over to me, checking to see if I had been impressed.

"Well, I bet it was the men who made a big deal about being founders back in 1860. Men are very territorial." I joked. I noticed Elijah and I had traveled closer and closer toward each other with every step we'd taken.

"Yes, they are. Especially your vampire friend, Damon, is it?" He asked recalling his name.

I let out a deep sigh. "Damon is... complicated." I said for a lack of better words.

"He seems to care for you deeply, but there's this woman, Andie?" He asked.

"Yeah, she's a real bitch. Definitely not on my off limits list." I said bluntly causing him to laugh.

"You know, I could just compel him to treat you right."

"Tempting." I joked. "But I don't know. Damon is with another woman every week. I want something stable, something..."

"Passionate." He offered, finishing my sentence.

I couldn't help but smile at his accuracy. It seemed that he knew exactly what I was thinking at all times, and it was relaxing. With Damon, I always had to explain myself, second guess his feelings for me, wonder if he meant what he said. With Elijah, I felt that I could trust him, even though I hardly knew him. It was like I'd known him my entire life.

My face fell flat as I lost myself to my thoughts.

"I've upset you?" He asked worriedly.

"Oh, no! Not at all. I just, I'm having a good time walking around with you." I said truthfully, causing his lips to tug upward into a smile.

"Elijah, this is my friend, Alaric Saltzman." Jenna smiled as she returned to us. Alaric followed behind her, placing his hands in his pockets nervously.

"Yeah, I got your message about walking Elijah here through the old property lines. I thought I would tag along. You know being a history buff and all. Where to next?" He asked. I gave Ric a suspicious glance, letting him know that I didn't believe his 'history buff' charade for a moment.

"I'm pretty curious about the freed slave property owners. Some say, you know, the descendents of the slaves are the true keepers of American history." Elijah explained sounding smarter and smarter with every word. Honestly, the man could say 2+2=17 and it would sound smart coming from him.