Chapter 6 - The Letter (part 7)

Hopper blushed after thinking about the Fourth of July. Joyce smiled again and set the picture frame back on his desk. She seemed to pause for the slightest second while looking at the picture of Sarah.

"I want you to come do the interview with me. I got him to cooperate and he is willing to give us any information we want." Joyce nodded and followed Hopper down the hallway. She had never seen this part of the police station before. The jail wasn't used very often in this sleepy little town.

Partway down the hall, Hopper stopped and opened a closet door. He flicked on the light and disappeared into the closet. Joyce waited outside. He emerged a couple seconds later carrying a fold up chair. He closed the door and continued down the hall motioning for Joyce to follow.

They arrived at a steel door at the end of a hallway. Hopper reached into his pocket, pulling out a key. He stuck the key into the lock and turned it to reveal a large room. At the back were two jail cells, one of the doors was open. Outside of the jail cells sat a desk that was bolted to the floor. On one side was an empty chair that looked like it had been pushed out of the way. On the other side sat the prisoner with one hand handcuffed to the desk.

Hopper set down the fold up chair beside the empty one. Joyce went to sit on it but he stopped her. "No, here." Her said motioning to the other chair. It was more comfortable.

That was sweet. Joyce thought as she sat down. Hopper sat on the chair beside her. "You're name is Bryan Reynolds correct?"

The prisoner nodded. "Call me Bryan."

"Bryan this is Joyce, she is going to be helping me with the interview." Hopper informed.

"First off, the Lab, it's still running? And there is no army base?" Hopper asked.

Bryan looked at his feet then nodded. "Correct." He was embarrassed about how snarky he acted before.

"And what are you doing there?"

"I am part of a team in charge of finding the girl. We weren't told much about why, not even her name, just shown pictures. I have begun to piece together much of what happened though. This girl, as you know, is special, and I believe that she was abused while she was in custody at the lab. I don't want her to be found, but...Dr. Brenner threatened the safety of my family of I didn't cooperate." He paused." I also have reason to believe that they are working with something...unusual there." He picked his words carefully.

Hopper and Joyce shared a concerned glance. It was obvious to them. They were still experimenting with the upside down.

"About the let—" Hop started.

Joyce cut in. Eager to know the answer to her question. "Dr. Brenner, he's alive?"

Bryan nodded.

"That son of a *****." Joyce muttered under her breath.

Bryan looked confused. Did they know him?

"And he's in Chicago?" Hopper questioned.

"Correct." What was he doing there? Was he hiding? Bryan looked at his feet again.

"What are you hiding?" Joyce asked.

"Nothing." He lied. His eyes flickered to the left.

Joyce leaned foreword and stared him in the eye. "I am the mother of two teenage boys. I've learned to tell when someone is lying, and you sir, definitely are." His eyes flickered again. "Your eyes. The way you keep looking down. The way your foot keeps tapping the floor, the way your sitting, very enclosed. All of that says your hiding something."

Hopper was impressed, he suspected that he was hiding something, but had no proof. Joyce just nailed it.

Bryan sighed. "The other day...I accidentally walked into the wrong hallway, and I heard something that I don't think I was supposed to. I heard... a young child crying. I think her name was Sasha, or Sarayah, or..." Bryan thought hard.

"Sarah."

~End of Chapter 6~