three

"Hey, Jessie

"Hey, Jessie." I shook her shoulder softly, waiting for a response. 

She hummed, not opening her eyes. "What?"

"I'm going into town to get some stuff, do you need anything?"

"A whole bottle of Advil would be nice." She mumbled, shoving her face into the pillow.

"Gotcha." I chuckled, grabbing my keys before heading out.

As I passed by one of the fraternities, some of the boys were laid out on the lawn, their fingers already wrapped around beers. I rolled my eyes in disgust, how could they get drunk at noon?

I looked over, catching the same boy I ran into in the park sitting on the railing, sunglasses still covering his eyes. Calum Hood. He seemed kind of boring for all the hype Jessie put out on him.

He raised his hand and waved at me, a small smile spreading across his lips. "Alex, hey!"

I waved back before continuing on my way. I wasn't looking to make any friends beside Jessie, especially with a boy, much less a frat boy.

I drove to the city and into the Target, where I planned to spend at least a hundred dollars. Who can walk into Target, buy what they need and then leave? No one.

I checked over the list I brought before checking out, carrying the bags to my car. It was a quick trip, I grabbed some last minute school supplies and some decorations for the dorm.

When I got back, Jessie was still asleep, the blinds drawn, the room dark. I switched on the light, resulting in a groan from Jessie. She threw the covers off as I handed her a couple Advils and a glass of water.

She thanked me before taking them, downing the whole glass of water and heading to the showers. She got out a few minutes later after I put up a couple posters and organizing my papers and pens on the desk.

"Why don't you have any pictures of your family?" She asked me, putting on sweatpants and a large t-shirt.

I shrugged. "We've never taken any, really. My parents and I don't really have a strong relationship."

"Didn't you say they had your whole future planned out for you?"

I nodded, turning away from her. "Yeah, our relationship is kind of professional."

"Said no kid ever."

I shrugged again, sitting on the bed. "That's just how it's always been."

"What about boy problems?" she asked. "Bullying? Your breakdowns?"

"I never had any boy problems, I became invisible in school so no one really saw me," I replied. "My breakdowns, I kept them to myself."

"That had to be hard." She said softly.

"No, it's okay," I chuckled. "I kind of learned to take care of myself."

"Well," she grinned. "You have me now, give me all your boy problems and breakdowns."

"Thanks, Jessie." I chuckled.

***

The next two nights, Jessie spent them out with the frat boys on campus while I stayed at the dorm, preparing for classes to start.

Jessie came back each night, drunk and mumbling on about Calum Hood and his luscious hair, the chocolate brown eyes, and his Australian accent that made her swoon.

I enjoyed having her as a roommate, preferably sober, but drunk, she talked way too much and only ever talked about boys. 

"I never asked to see you schedule." Jessie said this morning when she came back from the cafe, two coffees in her hand.

I pulled the piece of paper from my folder, handing it to her. 

She looked down the list, looking up at me. "You're double majoring?"

"Yeah, my parents want me to," I shrugged. "Business and Economics."

"No one majors in either of those." She chuckled, rolling her eyes.

"Well, it should be easy then."

"You're a strange gal, Ally."