forty

"Hey, what happened to you last night?" Michael asked me as I fixed both him and I a coffee

"I-uh I wasn't feeling well, decided to head home for the night, what about you?"

He smiled down at his drink before looking up at me. I pushed his shoulder softly, leaning over the counter to get closer to him. "You got laid, didn't you?"

He nodded and chuckled. "Her name's Crystal. I like her a lot."

"That's so cute," I gushed. "I'm so happy."

"Where'd you really go last night?"

"Back to the dorm, I told you."

"Why?"

I cleaned the counters, ready to switch shifts when I shrugged. "Calum and I got into something and I had to leave."

"What kind fo something?"

"Nothing, Mikey, it really was nothing."

He pouted as I grabbed my coat, reaching for his hand. "We kind of made out."

"Oh really?" he smirked. "And how'd that go?"

"He uh-he told me he loved me," I said as Michael pulled at my hand, stopping me. "And I told him I loved him too."

"What? Really?" Michael gasped. "And what's the problem?"

"We were drunk, it didn't mean anything," I shrugged. "Calum doesn't love me and I don't love him, it's not complicated."

"They say drunk words are sober thoughts."

"Drunk words mean nothing because they're drunk words."

"Calum loves you and it's not hard to see that, Ally," he smiled, swinging our hands. "He's changed so much since he met you."

"Michael, please stop," I frowned. "Calum made it very clear that he doesn't want anything to do with me. He doesn't want to jeopardize his education and I'm not mad at him for it."

"Sorry, Alex, I just-Calum's my best friend and I haven't seen him smile in weeks."

"It was his choice to break up with me, Mikey, I did what I could."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I know, Ally."

***

I don't know how I ended up at the party that night. 

I don't know how I ended up in the hospital waiting room.

I don't know where it happened. I don't know when it happened. I don't know how it happened.

Jessie was raped.

Drugged, pinned down, and raped.

While I was downstairs, watching Calum move his hands across another girls body. 

Her and Luke got into a fight about something and she drowned it out with alcohol.

Like she does everything else.

Some dude offered her a drink and she was too drunk to even realize her own rules.

"When can I see her?" I asked the nurse for the hundredth time. "Hello?"

"I told you that I would let you know when you are able to see her, please have a seat."

I turned around and ran right into someone, my chest colliding with theirs. I huffed as I grabbed their shoulders, steadying myself.

They leaned down and wrapped their arms around my waist, pulling me into them as their face went to my neck.

I immediately recognized the caramel skin and scent as Calum Hood.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, sighing deeply as my forehead pressed against his neck.

We stood there, swaying softly as tears fell down my cheeks. "What happened?"

Calum pulled me over to the seats, sitting down beside me. "I was downstairs and I wasn't paying attention to where she was going. I didn't notice the dude take her upstairs, no one heard her screaming over the music."

He pulled me closer to him, rubbing my back softly. "I'm sorry."

"I went upstairs to get away and heard her, busted in the room and kicked the dude off and hit him in the balls before helping Jessie out," I said quietly. "She was bleeding, her dress was torn, I didn't know what to do so I brought her here."

"You did the right thing," he said before hugging me again. "I'm sorry I wasn't here for you."

"It's okay," I sighed again, my hands subconsciously going into his hair. "Where's Luke?"

"He's back there with her." Calum said.

"Really? I never saw him come in."

Calum pressed a kiss to my forehead before swiping the tears from my face. "It's not your fault, Alex."

"Maybe it is," I huffed. "If I wasn't too busy-"

I stopped, glancing over at him. "Too busy doing what?"

"Too busy watching you."

"You were watching me?" He said, a small smirk spreading across his lips.

"Don't flatter yourself," I rolled my eyes. "And yes, I was."

He pressed a kiss to my cheek, wrapping an arm around me. 

Every time I saw Calum, all I could think about was him mumbling that he loved me. The way his lips moved against mine, it made me believe the words that fell from his lips.

I just looked at him and sighed. "I just hope she's okay."

"Me too, babygirl," he muttered. "Me too."