twenty-one

"Do you want to go out with me?"

"Are you asking me on a date?" I asked Calum, rolling over on his bed to face him.

He nodded as I smiled, holding my head up in my hands. "I don't know, I don't know you that well, you could be a murderer for all I know."

Calum grabbed my waist, pulling me up before hovering over me. His fingers gripped my hip, pushing up my shirt so his thumb could brush over my hipbone.

"Do you want to go out with me?" He asked again, his nose brushing against mine.

"Of course I do, Calum," I chuckled, pressing a quick kiss to his lips before standing up. "I have to go back to the dorm and change, where are we going?"

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me back onto his lap. "You don't have to change, you look amazing, babe."

"I'm wearing leggings and your hoodie, I look too casual." I frowned.

He pressed a kiss underneath my ear, smiling against my skin. "You look great, babe."

I pulled on my white slip-on vans that I wore over, Calum grabbing my hand and pulling me down the stairs.

Calum waved at the boys sitting on the couch, Michael, Luke, and I think the other one was Ashton. He was kind of quiet unless he was drunk.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he pulled out and onto the highway. 

"I was thinking about getting some pizza." He smiled, reaching across the console and taking my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"There's a perfectly nice pizza place a block off campus."

"There's an even better place on the boardwalk."

I smiled at him, playing some music off my phone. We pulled up to the boardwalk, the sun starting to go down.

We both got out, Calum taking my hand and pulling me down the boardwalk. He bought us both a slice of pizza before heading towards the ferris wheel.

We both got on, eating our pizza as we got to the top. Calum finished off mine as I took in the sunset over the water.

"Wow." I breathed, taking in the beautiful sunset.

"You're so beautiful, Alex."

I looked down at my hands, not looking at him. "Thanks, Cal."

He put a finger underneath my chin, tipping my head up to look at him. "Why don't you think you're the most beautiful girl?"

I shrugged. "I never was. In school, at home, I'm a loser."

"No, you're not," he said, meeting my eyes. "Alex, I think that you are perfect."

I shook my head. "I'm not, Calum, I-"

He leaned down and kissed me again, his lips soft and gentle against mine. "You're so beautiful, Ally, please, remember that."

I nodded, pressing a quick kiss to his lips. "Thanks, Cal."

Jessie texted me and told me she was going to be with some boy tonight and that I had the dorm to myself and before I knew it, Calum's lips were pressed against mine, my hands digging around for the key to the dorm.

I finally got it unlocked, laughing as Calum pressed kisses to my neck, slipping his hands underneath the hoodie.

Someone cleared their throat behind me. I turned around, finding my mom sitting on my bed, Jessie across from her. 

"I've been calling and texting you, Alex," Jessie said through gritted teeth. "I missed my date."

I pulled away from Calum, brushing my hair back from my face as I looked at her. "Hey, Mom."

"I dropped by in hopes of spending time with my daughter but instead, I was left alone for an hour only for you to stumble in with this boy," she said to me. "We specifically told you no boys."

"We're just friends." I said, putting even more space between Calum and I.

"Friends who kiss, not friendly at all," she scoffed. "Do I need to convince the dean to give you a break? Come home for a little while until you remember your spot?"

"No, Mom, I was just- getting the college experience."

"That's not what your father and I taught you at all," she spat. "You're out here, throwing yourself around like a slut-"

"With all due respect, Mrs. Taylor, Alex is not a-" Calum stepped forward.

"Shut your mouth, boy."

"Mom-"

"No, we're taking your car until further notice," she said, grabbing her purse. "Stay away from this boy, or any boy in fact. We can have you put in the community college a block from home by the end of the week."

She turned to Calum. "Stay away from my daughter or else."

She turned back to me, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I have eyes everywhere, don't disobey us again. I love you."

Calum turned to me as tears filled my eyes. He reached out to me but I turned away, heading for the bed.

"Sorry pretty boy." Jessie said, softly shoving Calum out the door.

She came over to me, wrapping her arms around me as I sobbed into her chest. She stroked my hair softly. "I'm sorry babygirl."