fifteen

When Monday rolled around, Jessie and I weren't on speaking terms

She was mad because I wouldn't share anything about me like she would. I was mad because I couldn't be as open and carefree as her.

I mean, I wasn't being ridiculous. I didn't have anything to share. My childhood was the basic smart and quiet girl. That's what it's been like. What it always will be like. 

I was invisible. There was no one to tell my secrets too, I never had any friends, I had straight A's. 

There was literally nothing to talk about.

Jessie would talk about her first kiss in the fourth grade, the boy who took her virginity junior year of high school, the frat boy she tried to hook up with every time but could never remember his name.

It was annoying to both her and I that I didn't have fun stories like hers. I was boring.

I was a robot. Controlled by my parents since the moment I was born to probably the moment I died. Or they died first, whichever, really. 

I couldn't disobey them because I was raised to know that was wrong. And plus, they're paying for everything. My car, my education, my priorities were all in their hands. 

Jessie couldn't understand why I let my parents control me. It's just way it's always been.

I went to business class Monday morning, absolutely dreading to even be in the same room as Calum. I sat next to Michael, pulling a tight smile.

"What's up?" He asked me.

"Nothing." I shrugged, pulling out my laptop.

Calum walked in, taking the same seat in front where I used to sit next to him. He pulled his laptop out, turning and glancing at me.

He smiled softly, giving a small wave. I turned my attention to the laptop in front of me, pretending that I didn't see him.

"Okay, what was that?" Michael chuckled, leaning closer to me.

"What?" I asked, pretending I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Calum just waved at you and pretended you didn't see him."

"He's here?" I asked. "I didn't notice."

"Bullshit," he laughed. "What's really going on?"

I looked at him, noticing how green his eyes really were, a duller color than his neon green hair. I sighed heavily, holding my head on my hand. "My life's a mess."

"Please, elaborate." He chuckled.

"At the party on Saturday night, Calum and I kissed." I muttered to him. 

"What?" Michael said loudly, causing everyone to look at us.

"Shhh," I slapped his arm, making him shut up. "You can't tell anyone."

He laughed again, smiling widely to me. "You two kissed?"

I nodded. "Why are you laughing?"

"Well, one, because you're as red as a tomato," he smirked as I covered my face with my hands. "And second because it's not a big deal and you're making it one."

"What?" I mumbled, meeting his eyes. "It is a big deal, we kissed."

"So what? If we kissed, it would be the same thing."

I shook my head. "No, it would not."

"Why?"

"Well because I don't like you like that-"

"You like Calum?" he smirked. "I knew it-"

"No, I don't like Calum." I whisper yelled at him.

He raised his eyebrows, giving me the 'really?' look. "You're a bad liar."

"And you're a bad listener," I bit back. "Anyways, Jessie and I are fighting because she doesn't think I'm sharing enough with her."

"Like what?"

"Like the depth of my childhood and why I can't date Calum and why I can't disobey my parents."

"Why can't you disobey your parents?"

"Because I just can't," I said, resting my head on the table. "No one understands me."

"You're an adult, take control of your own life, if you like Calum, go for it."

"I don't like him," I repeated. "My parents pay for everything I own, including my education."

"Fuck them, get a job," he shrugged. "Or a sugar daddy."

"Oh god," I groaned as the professor walked in. "You're useless."

"Thanks, you too," he smiled at me. "Do you wanna grab lunch after this?"

"Yes, please." I smiled at him, starting to take notes.