Chapter 33: The Eighth Day - Why?

River's story ended around two in the morning the next day, he explained what a chain link does.

"Chain link is a dreadful artefact." He managed, as he bit into a marshmallow Mellissa got us because she was bored halfway through the story, and then complained when she missed all the good bits.

"It is the only way to officially connect the three plains together, heaven, earth and the underworld. It collides the three turning them into one, but in doing so would kill millions."

"Why on earth would they want to do that?" Otaku asked.

"That one is not so hard to explain." Lavender spoke, "Back before the great ones, Earth was made for a feeding ground for Hade's, humans were made for food, although they weren't originally intended for it, the divine Hade's demanded something to eat."

"Yes that is true, the world's back then were also one, they supply for food was easily accessible, and wars were limited due to this method."

"Well that's fucked up." I said biting into a marshmallow, "Why am I the one who has to stop it? Why can't you just join up with the Protectors I've heard so much about and kick their ass."

"The protectors need to keep the underworld steady" River began, "the reason they bestowed the task to you as they couldn't leave, and their power alone is not enough either."

"What do you mean they're not enough who are we dealing with exactly?" Otaku said, she seemed to be struggling to comprehend.

"I mean that this demon has more strength then all of them combined, and this angel is so mentally psychotic that he's reached past the boundaries of angel he is practically a great one himself." River announced.

"Why can't we just get the great ones to whoop them good?" Mellissa added.

"The great ones can not physically materialise on the three plains, they're powerless without a catalyst. Which is why Jamie was created as a further step."

Everyone turned to me in confusion, I looked back to river his lightness of his face but the stern look of his expression made me curious.

"What is this extra step?"

"You already know, when you first touched Misty when you were in panic or when you somehow managed to wield Mellissa's Demon Tail sword."

"So that wasn't me, I had them inside of me? We fused? Or Combined or something."

"Yes."

"So Jamie needs to combine with the three Great Ones to have a chance at stopping them?" Otaku asked, her face seemed happy and concerned at the same time, she seemed excited to be able to witness the Great Ones.

"Cool, where are they?" I asked half cocked.

"They will come when the time is right, but your body as it is now won't even be able to comprehend the immense power. That is why you must go to the underworld to gain your true demon form."

"What if I refuse?" I asked staring into River's eyes.

"Jamie!" Misty said shocked.

"I'm being serious, why do I have to do this, and why is it that no one else can?"

"He's right to question, if you refuse then all hope is lost." Everyone fell silent,

"Three nights from now, a Gateway should open on top of that hill." River pointed towards the hill west of where we were, "Grim Demon Lord of Death, gave you the power to fight back, Fable the Demon Lord of Tales gave you the power of knowledge, Portal the Demon Lord of Gateway's gave you the power to open new paths, and Father the Demon Lord of Time gave you the power to manipulate time."