Chapter Three

Cal's Pov

After Evangeline stormed out with Potlemus following her, I excused myself much to my grandmother's dismay. I couldn't think, let alone plan a war.

I couldn't get her out of my head. The look of hurt in her eyes, the way she looked at me longing for me to choose her. But I couldn't. I was raised to be a king and it was all I'd ever known. No matter how much I wanted to leave behind the courts, balls, and constant beauty pageants, I just couldn't. Maven needed to get off our father's throne. And I needed to claim it just as our father had wanted.

I pushed open the door to my room and sat down at my desk. I ran my hands over my face and played with my flamemaker bracelet. I eventually heard a knock on the door and got up to open it.

"Premier," I said as I let the man inside.

"I believe you wanted to talk?" he replied as I showed him to my sitting area.

I nodded as we sat down. "It's about my brother."

The premier nodded and I continued. "I was wondering if maybe you've discovered the Newblood equivalent to a whisper."

"Not that I know of. Why do you ask?" the Premier replied arching an eyebrow.

"I know it's a longshot, but I think maybe a Newblood whisper might be able to undo what Elara has done. They could possibly bring back the old Maven," I replied looking at my hands.

I know Maven's a monster, but it's because of what his mother did to him. And every time I see him, I can't help but see him as the younger brother I had always been there for. If there's any possible way to bring that Maven back, I'd take the opportunity in a heartbeat.

The premier nods his head. "I'll keep a lookout, but I can't make any guarantees."

I nod my head and thank him before he leaves. After he's gone I go out to my balcony and watch as the sun sets. Thinking about Maven brings my thoughts right back to Mare. Maven loves her too, only by his mother's doing, but he still loves her and he'd do anything to get her back. I guess that's one thing we have in common. But of course, I was an idiot and threw her away all for a stupid piece of metal that sits on my head. But in a way, he did the same thing. I sigh and head back inside to get ready for bed. I made my choice and I don't think she'll want me back now. She knows where my loyalties lie. I climb into bed and start to fall asleep. I threw the love of my life away, and I doubt she'll be coming back.

That was extremely short but I didn't really know what else to add so sorry guys. I promise I'll try to get better at Cal's and Evangeline's povs.