Chapter Eighteen

Over 300 reads!!!

Cal's Pov

"Copy that," I hear Farley say though the radio.

I slide my attention back to the screens before me.

Davidson was able to hack into the Lakeland's security system, giving us the ability to watch through their security cameras scattered around the city. This way, I can keep an eye on our army, or should I say distraction, and help Evangeline.

I glance over to the screens that showcase the Palace's live security footage. I watch as over thirty more go black.

Mare's work.

"Seems everything is going well so far," Davidson says from behind me as he studies the battle taking place before us.

I nod in response and turn my attention to the screens that showcase the main square.

Evangeline and our army are heading towards the palace, fighting off the never-ending swarm of guards that try to stop their progress.

I wish I could be there in Evangeline's place, leading my army.

But like Mare said, it's too risky for a flame to enter a fortress made of water.

I draw myself out of my thoughts and refocus on watching the battle before me.

"Evangeline, head to the left. They seem to all be coming from the right side," I say into the radio.

"Got it," I hear Evangeline say breathlessly. I also hear the unsettling noise of metal slicing through human flesh before the radio cuts out.

No matter how many people I kill or see killed, I'll never be able to get over that feeling of fear that enters you as you watch the life drain from their eyes.

I quickly shake these thoughts out of my head and refocus on the battle.

On the screen, our army starts heading towards the left, leaving behind numerous dead from both sides.

I glance over to the Palace's footage and don't notice anything different. Most of the action is probably taking place in the rooms where Mare disabled the cameras.

"How do you think Mare and Farley are doing?" I ask Davidson, hoping that I was able to keep the worry out of my words.

"No worrisome calls from them yet. Everything must be going well," Davidson says reassuringly. "Don't worry. They know what they're doing. They'll be fine."

I nod in response, hoping his words are true.

"Cal?" I hear Farley say through the radio.

I feel the room's temperature rise as my face pales and my stomach does a somersault.

"Farley? What is it?" I ask, cursing myself for sounding so worried.

"You better be getting on a jet. You've got a kingdom to claim."

Mare's Pov

As soon as I'm out the door, I allow the sparks to dance across my fingers.

"Where are we going, Tyton?" Farley whispers.

"Left doors," Tyton replies.

We all follow Farley to the doors, where she stops and looks back at us, determination written across her face.

"Ready?" Farley asks and we all nod.

I take a deep breath, calming my nerves, as Farley reaches for the door handles.