Chapter 44- Tutor

Although Alexa had been quieter during recent days she was beginning to get back to the way she was before the incident.

Naya and I had been reading to her a lot since she had opened up to us while I had also been looking for a tutor to help her.

I was pretty much certain I had the perfect candidate and she was able to travel with us when I went away so that was all good.

Her name was Abby and all her references had said she was extremely good. After speaking to Naya about it in a lot of detail we had phoned her up and invited her to come meet Alexa to see how well they got on. However we had been putting off telling Alexa as I knew it would upset her but I knew Abby was due to arrive so I needed to tell her.

"Lexie come here please." I shouted through the house. She came running in from her play room to where I was on my own as Naya was working today.

"Lexie baby sit down. Mommy needs to speak to you." I said to her. She looked terrified and extremely confused. Normally when I needed to tell her something important, it was something upsetting.

"Today someone is coming over and I need you to be a brave girl for me. She's really nice and she wants to teach you things." I explained to her.

"No mommy, you can do it." She replied simply.

"No baby, I'm too busy and I'm not qualified. She is really nice and I promise that I'll be here the whole time today."

"Promise?" She asked.

"I promise." I told her as the doorbell rang. Alexa burst into tears but I just picked her up onto my hip and went to answer the door.

"Hi you must be Abby. I'm Demi and this is Lexie, come in." I put Alexa down and she scrambled at me, trying to get back up.

"Come on baby, let's go through and sit down." I offered Alexa my hand and she immediately grabbed it wanting some sort of physical contact with me.

I held Alexa on my lap as I spoke to Abby. She was really nice and was still happy to teach Alexa but they hadn't really bonded together.

"Lexie can you do a big girl job for me and speak to Abby while I go get myself a drink for me?" I asked hoping she would say yes. She nodded her head so I got up. I got myself a drink then stood out of sight and listened to their conversation.

"So what's your favourite thing to do in the whole world?" Abby asked. Her voice was full of enthusiasm as she spoke which made me happy.

"Mama bakes with me and watches sports with me and we do puzzles." She said excitedly. I was so confused she never told me this stuff.

"So what's your favourite colour then?" Abby asked her. That's easy, I thought, it's pink.

"Yellow." WHAT. I took this as my cue to enter the room.

"Well thanks for meeting us Abby. We will be in touch shortly." I told her as I showed her out.

"Bye Abby. See soooon." Lexie said waving goodbye.

It really upset me and how open she was to Abby. I knew I should be happy she wasn't as shy as normal but she wasn't needing as much and I knew she was growing up. It upset me more that I never did any of her favourite things with her. Did I really not know my own daughter?