Backburner

Courtney:

The squad was all out to eat at nice a restaurant downtown. We we're all squished together in a booth. I sat next to Olivia who sat next to Shayne and he sat next to Keith and Noah.

"So Noah how's your relationship going?" Shayne asks.

"Pretty good, I'm taking her to LegoLand next weekend" Noah says. 

"Cool" Shayne says.

"What about you Shayne?" Noah asks.

" Huh? " He replies.

"Got anyone special in your life right now?" Noah asks.

" No, not right now, I just can't seem to find the right person ya know? " Shayne says.

"Aww Shayne I'm sure someone out there is perfect for you!" Olivia says.

"Yeah Shayne, you just gotta get out there and keep looking!" I say.

"Yeah man! " says Noah.

"Or you could stay in the bachelor club with me!" Keith says.

"Thanks for the advice guys haha" Shayne says while chuckling.

After our many conversations we finish our food and start to leave. Once we were out of the restaurant we started to say our goodbyes.

"Bye guys!" Keith and Noah said while waving goodbye and walking towards Noah's car.

"Farewell" Shayne says as he starts to walk to his car.

I'm about to stop Shayne and try to talk to him when I feel Olivia pull my arm.

"Can I talk to you?" She asks.

"Uh sure" I say and walk with her to the bench outside the restaurant.

"Are you still interested in Shayne?" She asks me.

"Uh yeah?" I say confused.

"I wanted to tell you this first because your my best friend and I didn't want to upset you" she says.

"Go on" I say interested.

"Umm.. I have a crush on Shayne" she says quietly.

"Umm... I don't know what to say" I reply shocked.

"Please don't be mad at me, it's just that he's always been a friend and been there for me" She says apolegetically.

"I'm not mad at you Olivia" I say.

Olivia:

"Really Courtney? I thought you would be upset with me?" I say suprised

"I would be if you actually had a chance with him" she says matter of factly.

"Excuse me?" I say shocked

"What? Do you actually think he would fall for you?" She says

"No offense but I'm the better looking and the funnier one" She continues.

"Excuse me? I thought we were freinds? Why are you being so mean?" I say saddened.

"Mean? I'm just being honest" she states again.

"Wow... I think we might need some time apart from each other for some time. I don't know if I can be friends with someone this rude to me" I say and get up and walk away.

"Whatever" I hear Courtney mutter as I walk away.

I open my car door and sit in my seat. Before turning on my car I start to tear up a little bit. Why was she so mean to me? I thought we were freinds. As I'm sitting there crying, Courtney drives off in her car. I turn on my car quietly and start to drive home.

After I get home I sit on my bed and ponder what she said to me at the restaurant. Would Shayne actually fall for me? Am I even his type? Does he think I'm pretty? All these questions swirl around in my head. Finally I come to a conclusion. I'm going to win Shayne's heart and no one especially not Courtney will come between us.