When Did You Know?

I LOVE MY MIND

So I've been rewatching NCIS:LA because why the heck not and I came up with this while watching Neighborhood Watch for the uptillionth time:

What if the oven timer hadn't rung when Brett asked about when Deeks knew about Kensi being the one?

I LOVE MY MIND

-Amanda

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"You guys are too cute." Paulina said, shaking her head in amazement before taking a sip of her mojito.

"Mostly her." Deeks replied, a smug smile decorating his face as he took a sip of his own drink. He could've sworn he saw Kensi blush.

Brett smirked at the pair, "So when did you know she was the one?"

Deeks took a breath and considered changing the subject. Revealing when he fell for her would be the potential end of their partnership. He mentally shrugged and went for it.

"Well, uh, let's see," He said, fishing for a way to not make it look like it was an NCIS case, which it had been, but Paulina and Brett didn't have to know that, "At first I suspected it to be when she got into this relationship with this abusive dude. I slept over at her house, but nothing happened... I just enjoyed her company... I don't know about how she felt about the whole thing." Deeks said, making everyone laugh, and Kensi to playfully push him.. At least he thought it was playful, he'd have to ask her later.

"But, in reality, it was Christmas Eve twenty-ten... And we'd been talking for quite a bit after we met. Seven, uh.. yeah, seven months, actually. I know, it was a pretty long time before I realized I, uh, wanted her.

"We'd been spending the whole day together, and then this guy just comes up to her and starts talking to her. They shared their stories and struggles and whatnot -- struggles I didn't know about at the time, and uh, I started to feel jealous, I guess is the word."

Kensi's lips parted slightly, realizing where he was fishing the details of the story from; the Talbot case. She didn't know if he was being truthful about the way he felt at the moment, but he damn well sounded convincing.

"Long story short, she, uh, and I spent the night together at a soup kitchen, and that's when I realized I lo- I wanted her." Deeks said, feeling as if he had said too much.

"That is so romantic, oh my." Paulina squealed, "You have a great one here, Melissa."

"I actually lied earlier about when I realized he was the one...It wasn't exactly when we met." Kensi said, making Deeks's head snap toward her.

"Care to share, then?" Brett asked.

"It had been the week I found out about the real reason behind my father's death. He was there for me when no one else was. It was like... I looked at him, and I felt the true definition of home."

"See, Brett? Why don't you ever talk about me this way?" Paulina nearly whined.

Brett chuckled, "You know I'm not good with feelings, Paulina."

.

.

.

.