7 // marshmellows & dares

Luke & I talked through most of the game of truth it dare. It was good catching up with my old best friends. We talked just like old times.

One thing that caught me by surprise was how much Ashton tried to join in on our conversation.

He rested his hand on my knee or his head on my shoulder every time I talked to Luke. When I would stop and talk to him, he's take his hand away. It's like he always wanted to be near me.

Nobody really bothered to ask Luke and I any truth or dares. I didn't mind though. I had missed talking with him.

I had lots of friends who were girls but, a girl best friend could never really fill the void of having a guy who was your best friend. We had lots of history.

I remember calling him up at 3AM because of something my mom yelled at me and we would talk for hours. Or the many times he would show up at my doorstep out of the blue just because he missed me. He was the first person I ever really opened up to and loved.

Someone had managed to get a bag of marshmallows from somewhere. Most likely their suitcase.

I'm surprised nobody else has showed up.

Only about two people came in after Luke did.

We started roasting marshmallows on the long rods provided by Camp Well.

We put the game on pause and kinda just sat in silence.

Ashton laid his head on my shoulder and sorta snuggled into my (well actually, the extra sweater that was his. He was smart enough to pack it in the bag he had refused to take off all day.)

He nuzzled his nose into my neck.

"Emmaaaaa." He leaned into my ear.

"Ashtonnnnn." I wailed back.

"You smell like campfire and marshmallows." He said. He seemed drunk but, I was with him the whole time so it was impossible.

He seemed more like himself when Luke went to his cabin to get a sweater. His arm was slowly getting chewed up by mosquitos and he needed something to cover it up.

"Is campfire and marshmallows a good smell?" I leaned my head onto his.

"It's a great smell. I- I love it." He said. "Emma, I think-" but he was cut off when Luke came back.

"EMMAAAA." He said wrapping an arm around me. It was only then that I noticed the size difference between Luke and I. He was so damn tall. He always was taller than me but this was insane.

I turned around to see Ashton talking to another boy with dark, shaggy hair. His name not known to me yet.

After the empty bag of marshmallows was melting on the hot flames of the fire, truth or dare started up again.

A boy with long blonde hair that almost went past his shoulders spoke up. I think his name was Taylor or something.

"Luke, truth or dare?" He asked yelling across he fire pit.

"C'mon guys, this is so middle school." Luke groaned.

"Answer the question. You agreed on playing!" I yelled kicking Luke's shoe lightly.

"Fine, fine. Dare." Luke said scrunching his nose, a habit he's always had.

"I dare you to..um..kiss the most beautiful girl in this group."

All the other girls in the group started whispering to each other and sat up straight. Staring at Luke with wide eyes.

If I have to be honest, Luke was very attractive. He was sweet, really funny and just amazing. Basically the definition of what every girl wanted.

I was getting bored. That question has been asked several times but by girls. They've done more sexual things too. If you didn't pick truth, they'd look for someone willing to do a dare. It was stupid.

Luke stood up.

I leaned up against my hand with my arm resting on my knee supporting my head until I felt a warm, soft pair of lips connect to mine.

Luke..I had no idea where that even came from.

He kissed me.

It felt great. Especially since there were other prettier girls than me there (or so I thought.) It just felt really good. I haven't been kissed in a long time and forgot its one of the most amazing feelings in the world.

When I pulled away, Luke rested his forehead against mine.

"Luke, why did you do that?" I asked- my breathing very uneven.

"They asked me to kiss the most beautiful girl in the group. That's exactly what I did." He said winking making his was back to his spot beside me.

I peered around the circle to see pissed off girls whispering and guys getting bored and lost in conversation.

Then, I noticed something that made my stomach drop a little.

Ashton's spot beside me was empty.