Chapter 12: Blake

I watch her drive away from the window. The house is quiet- no one is home yet. I go to get changed for bed but I keep thinking back to at the library, when we were going around reciting our greatest fears; there is something about what she said they I just can't seem to shake. She said to the table, "Well you all know my situation" and they all looked at each other knowingly. Which poses the dire question, what is her situation? What is her life like? I know she has an older sister and has never left London but other than that I have absolutely no clue what her life is like. She seems optimistic and happy most of the time, but there are moments where for a second it almost disappears. Her face darkens and you can see the beginnings of tears well up in her eyes, but before you can ask if she is ok it clears. She smiles and suddenly the darkness recedes from her features. As I lay down to sleep and close my eyes I can picture every detail of her face, so seemly innocent. But everyone has their secrets, so I begin to wonder what is she hiding?

...

I am walking through a corridor in a hospital, I look down and bunches of cords snake around my frame, all attached to a collection of beeping operators and machines. Everything is black, except for the small patch of moonlight creeping through the windows, illuminating the polishes floor and metal cabinetry. But I see something bright out of the corner of my eye. I turn to face it, I find a bright glowing light coming from the end of the corridor. I walk towards it but it seems to get further away. I start running, faster and faster, dragging the assortment of machinery behind me. It's calling my name. I can hear it. I can feel it.

"Blake, Blake, Blake." Louder and louder it grows and I get closer to the pulsating light at the end of the hall, it's blinding, my whole body begins to shake and I can barely keep my eyes open I-

"Blake, Blake get up it's 7.30 you need to get ready." I open my eyes. It's morning. Ma is standing over me, one hand on the light switch beside my bed, the other shaking my shoulder.

"For God's sake Ma turn off the light!" Well that explains the great pulsing light beam in my dream then. She ignores me and walks away adding.

"Get up and get dressed, we leave in 10 minutes." I sit up in my bed, trying to shake the state of sleep.

"Why now Ma, school doesn't start until nine, I've got plenty of time." Ma pops her head round the door.

"Honey you aren't going to school today remember? We've got appointments at the hospital all day." I dear god that's right, bloody hell.

"Oh, for fuck sake." I plunge my head face-first into my pillow and groan. I hate bloody hospitals. It reeks of sickness and death. I can't see her but I know she's pointing her finger at me again.

"Language young man." She says sternly as I hear her footsteps leave the room.