Chapter 42: Blake

I wait anxiously at the door, I check my phone. 6.18.

"She'll get here when she gets here Blake calm down." Ma laughs from the kitchen.

"I can't wait that long!" I groan, I fidget with my beanie to pass the time.

"Ah young love. So unconditional, yet so impatient." Ma sniggers at me. I make a face at her. Dad is asleep.

I look over to the window and finally I see a car pull into the driveway. I yell out to Ma.

"She's here!" Ma runs out.

"Okay you're all ready?" She fixes my tie and my beanie. "You look great Blake, have the best time." I give her a hug.

"Thanks Ma, love you." I open the door, Aimee is standing there.

"Wow." I shut the door behind me. "Aimee you look incredible!" She smiles and twirls around.

"Oh, this old thing? I really hoped you'd like it." She thinks for a moment.

"The colour isn't too much?"

"No." I say, much too quickly, "No not at all, it's my favourite colour actually- that very shade of blue." She smiles from ear to ear.

"Well then, what are we waiting for?"

...

We arrive at the school. I jump out of the car before Aimee has a chance to undo her seatbelt, run over and open up her car door.

"Milady..." She blushes as she steps out of the car. She extends her elbow.

"Shall we then?" I take her arm and we walk through the doors. For a second her smile fades and she speaks softly. She is looking around the crowds anxiously. "Now Blake I want you to know it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing or saying about us, I don't care. Just don't even look at them okay? Don't even pay attention to-"

"I'm not looking at them." She turns, to find me staring back at her. She smiles.

...

We dance for a bit, even though all they seem to play is crappy pop songs. But then, of course, I start wearing out. I hate it when that happens, like I am in the middle of doing something but my body just decides to shut down. A couple of years ago I could run around for hours and still be bouncing afterwards, nowadays if I am on my feet for more than a half hour my head starts spinning. Aimee doesn't mind though, she never seems to mind about that sort of thing. Sometimes I wish she did mind, just so I didn't feel so guilty all the time. She laughs.

"God somebody ought to show these people what real music is like." I laugh weakly back trying to gain my breath.

"Yeah, throw in some Green Day, Panic at the Disco, My Chemical Romance something!" Aimee smiled.

"Or even just something old school, a bit of 80s or 90s just to lighten the mood. Everything on the radio these days is so electronic. You can hardly hear the instruments anymore." Aimee says in reply. We sit for a while, watching everyone dance. All the girls in their tight cocktail dress with slits up to their high thighs, dancing around in stupidly high heels- looking like baby giraffes learning to walk. They look ridiculous. For their sake I hope there are drunk, so they don't remember this in the morning. Just then the song changes, it's slow. I smile. Fall at Your Feet by Crowded House, finally something classic. Half the crowd groan as they go sit down. I look over at Aimee and offer my hand to her.

"Aimee Harris, may I have this dance." She laughs.

"It would be my absolute pleasure Mr Sullivan." I whisk her onto the floor. She pulls her arms around my neck and I wrap mine around her waist. And we stay there, gently swaying from side to side, and the rest of the world ceases to exist. Right in that moment we are the only two people on the dancefloor, nothing else matters. After a while, Aimee looks up.

"What do you say we ditch this crappy party and go to my place." I laugh.

"Thought you would never ask."

e