Chapter 47: Aimee

Finally the show starts. Words cannot describe how happy Blake seemed to be with his friends again. He seemed so different, for a second it was like the clock turned back for him. He wasn't some kind dying of cancer, he was just a normal teenage boy. Happy and stupid and invincible. It's not fair he had that taken from him, but at least for tonight he can get some of it back. The start off my singing various numbers from grunge bands. "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" by Panic! At the Disco. They even played "Good Riddance" by Green Day- one of my favourites. They all are so amazing, no wonder they wanted to start a band.

"Alright guys I just want to take the time to say thank you to everyone who is here tonight, this," He laughs and shakes his head in disbelief, "is just amazing." The crowd starts cheering. "And I want to thank my Irish brothers for joining me here tonight," the guys wave as everyone cheers, "but I'm afraid it has come to an end." Everyone is silent, and out of the corner of my eye I see someone walk in the door. Oh shit. It's Blake's Dad. Blake doesn't notice though. "So for this last number, I want to bring my beautiful girlfriend Aimee to the stage, to perform a very special number with me. After all, she is the reason I'm here today." He gestures me to come onto the stage, Mark runs over and drags me up even though I'm half laughing and half shaking my head. I will never hear the end of this from Sofia I swear. I get up on the stage, Ian pulls a barstool over for me. Blake smiles as he starts to play his guitar, the others join in on queue. He starts singing.

Today is gonna be the day, that they're gonna throw it back to you

He gestures to me.

By now you should've somehow, realized what you gotta do

We both sing.

I don't believe that anybody, feels the way I do, about you now

The boys join in for the chorus, the crowd goes crazy.

I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me

And after all, you're my wonderwall

By the end the whole crowd is singing. The entire atmosphere on that stage is amazing. Every sensation, every sound is invigorating. No wonder Blake loves performing, the rush of it is incredible. When the song finishes, Blake leans over and kisses me, instinctively my hands find their way to his neck. Mark starts whooping, the other guys are all clapping which sets the rest of the audience off. I stare out at the crowd, Dad is whooping oh my god Dad stop! My eyes follow the crowd and I see Blake's Dad. I can't make out his facial expression though which makes me nervous.

...

Blake went backstage with his friends, everyone in the crowd is congratulating me. I don't know why, Blake is the one who did all the work. Suddenly I feel someone tap me on the shoulder.

"Aimee may I talk to you a second?" I freeze. I know that voice better than anything.

"Of course, Mr Sullivan." I follow him to the back of the pub where it is quieter. "Look, I know you said that this wasn't good for him and before you start-" Unexpectedly he pulls me in for a hug.

"I'm so sorry." He pulls away, he's crying. "For everything I have ever said about you and treated you. There is no excuse for it but ever since he was diagnosed I haven't been coping. So, I went to alcohol and unfortunately you've seen the rest. I originally came here I pull him back to hospital, but I saw you two up on that stage. And I saw my little boy again. My happy little boy who didn't have to worry about hospital appointments and chemo. And I realised then that I thought I was protecting him from being taken advantage of, when really I was just making him miserable. And as a father," he pinches his eyes to try and stop himself crying, "there is no worse a feeling than that." While I don't like him and definitely haven't forgiven him for all the things he'd said about Blake and I, I do feel for him. It must be hard, seeing your only child fade away before your eyes. I know it's hard for me.

"Mr Sullivan, I love your son. I love him more than anything else in the world and the last thing I want to do is put him at risk of anything. But I also want him to be happy. And this," I gesture to the crowd, "this makes him happy. I just wanted him to be happy before he goes. He deserves that much." Mr Sullivan sighs and smiles.

"He is lucky to have you, thank you for staying with him. You make him a better person." I put my hand over Blake's fathers shaky one.

"We make each other better people. If I've learned one thing about love, it's that." He nods slowly. "Anyway, I better get back-"

"Oh yes, go to him. Go to him, don't waste a single moment Aimee. Don't make that same mistake I have." I smile at him as I make my way through the crowd again. There is something different I feel now, the whole time Blakes father had the best of intentions even if they were difficult to interpret, he meant well. Everyone is flawed, but we try our best every day anyway. Even if we are doing it wrong, we still try to do the right thing. It makes me think of Mum. Which doesn't happen often.

1