Chapter 52: Aimee

I took the day off to stay with Blake. The night before he was crying to me on the phone last night, saying how he feels so lonely in the day when his Ma and Dad are working. So, I came to the hospital this morning. When I got there, of course, Blake told me he was fine and that I should go to school but I didn't fall for it. He can pull a pretty good brave face for others, but I know when he's hurting. We listened to music, talked a bit about my school and how my studies are. I said they were just as shitty as he remembers them. He groaned. We finally got around to watching a movie. We were watching Love Simon, I was cracking up at all the jokes when I looked over a Blake. I was expecting to see him laughing, but he had tears streaming all down his cheeks. I pause the movie.

"Blake, hey what is it? What wrong?" He looks over at me.

"Aimee, I don't want to go." He breaks down and sobs, I cradle him over my shoulder.
"Blake you don't need to be afraid of dying, it happens to everyone. It's natural." He pulls away and wipes his face with his sleeve.

"I'm not afraid of dying Aimee, I'm afraid of who I am leaving behind. Of leaving Ma and Dad, but most importantly you." He swallows hard. "I don't want to leave you Aimee. You are the best thing that has happened to my life, I'm not ready to give it up just yet." I sigh.

"Blake you aren't going to leave me okay? It isn't until you forget someone that they are truly lost from you. And I can assure you now Blake," I feel the hot tears run down my face, "I will never, ever forget you." I pull the necklace out from my shirt, "I will wear this every day and when I look at it, I will think of you. I will think of how blessed I am that out of all the students in that English period 1 class when you first moved up here, that I was the one you sat with. That I was the one who you let love you." He doesn't say anything but kisses my hands and my cheek. He lays back down and I snuggle up close to him. The movie keeps playing but I am no longer watching it, I just lay in his arms. I look into his eyes and he looks into mine. We don't say anything, but maybe that is best. Tacenda. Noun. Things better left unsaid; matters to be passed over in silence. I savour his embrace as he holds me close to him. Maybe this was just one of those times.