Chapter 16: Blake

It's been over a month now since I moved here to London. And while I miss home, things are looking pretty good here. Every lunch break Aimee and I sit under the trees unless it's raining, which happens quite often, then we sit outside one of the classrooms. School isn't too bad, my classes with Aimee are my favourite, particularly Music and Biology. History is the worst though, the teacher is a grumpy old crow, and the students are horrible. Well I mean let's be real, the only teenager in this establishment that has positively acknowledged me in any way is Aimee. Aimee. She's good as well, I think. Every Thursday night, and every second Tuesday afternoon all our friends meet at the library. Sometimes we study- most of the time we don't though. Chemo started, so I feel crappy a lot of the time but I don't mind it really. Not now that I've settled and things are looking upward. Which is good I guess.

"What are you thinking about?" Aimee nudges her shoulder playfully against mine. It's second lunch break, Wednesday afternoon. It's pretty overcast but it doesn't look like it will rain so we are sitting outside.

"Nothing. History mostly. God! I really don't know how I'll pass to be honest. Exams are coming up and I have no clue what the hell I'm meant to know." Aimee laughs, "It's not funny, the only excuse for not passing this exam is dying. Although that is a distinct possibility..." Aimee punches me in the arm this time. "Um ouch."

"Good I'm glad that hurt," her smile fades away, "I don't like it when you talk like that Blake." Sigh, she is much like my Ma in that way.

"I'm sorry, it was a joke honestly, most people make jokes about dying anyway it's normal."

"No, it's not. And besides their jokes are different."

"How so?" She looks away and shrugs.

"They, they just are ok?"

"Because I have cancer so it means I'm going to die sooner? Is that it?" Aimee turns her head, a slight fear depicted in her eyes mixed with acknowledgment- acknowledgment that I'm right. "Yeah well bullshit. I'm going to outlive all these bastards you watch. Between car accidents and overdoses and lightning strikes we all have a chance of not making it." I start laughing and Aimee joins in but it quickly dies. I reach forward to grab her hand, her eyes stare straight into mine. "All I'm saying is, we don't know what's coming, what tomorrow holds and when our time is truly up. So, we can't spend whatever time we have left in our lives worrying about it. You have just got to live. Really live your life. You know what I mean?" She smiles and nods but a tear falls down her cheek. I pull her close to me and we lay under the trees until the bell rings for class. I close my eyes and focus on the warmth of her, the way she fits in my arms. I could get used to this. I really could.