Chapter 39: Aimee

Friday Period Three, Art. Everyone is seated and waiting for Ms Morgan to walk into class. She's a really good art teacher, always chats to Blake and I when the others are busy on their phones or whatever. But Ms Morgan didn't come into class today, it was Mr Flanders instead.

"Who the hell is that sorry piece of shit?" I snort.

"My maths teacher, trust me he's worse than he looks." Blake's eyes widened as he straightens himself in his seat.

"Dear god no wonder you hate Maths, I have Mrs Newers. She's really not that bad, a tad boring but certainly not the figure of Satan like this guy." I start laughing.

"Blake he will hear you if you are not careful, then we will both be in trouble."

"Right then class. I am Mr Flanders and I teach some of you already, so you'll know my very specific expectations. For those who don't however," He walks around the room, and takes the time to stare at Blake for an extended period of time as he passes us, "those of you who I don't will spell them out now to avoid any confusion. I will not tolerate any talking, use of phones, or any disrespectful behaviour in my classroom. Are we clear?" The class responds in synchronised monotony, like robots under programming.

"Right then, Ms Morgan left you some theory. Chapters 3 to 6, taking notes per each topic." We worked in silence for some time, I finished pretty quickly, I've read these sections before about art history and pop culture. But I look over at Blake and he doesn't look so good. He's sweating really bad and his hands are shaking something chronic. He looks like he might pass out.

"Blake, hey what is it? What's wrong?"

"Quiet!" Mr Flanders glares at me. Blake looks over.

"I can't Aimee I feel sick; the words are all jumbled together I can't focus." I take the pen out of his hands.

"Hey, it's okay, I'll write out my notes for you." Blake shakes his head.

"No Aimee you've got your own work you don't need to help me as well." I stroke his face gently.

"Blake that's why I'm here, to help you. Besides I'm finished so don't stress about it." He nods slowly as I pull his book out from under his arms. I start copying the notes over, when Mr Flanders comes over.

"And just what do you think you are doing?" I feel myself getting anxious, I really hate this teacher.

"I've finished my work."

"And what are you doing young man, now is not the time for napping halfwit." Blake has his head on the table, his whole body is starting to tremble.

"Mr Flanders Blake is sick, he sometimes can't function in school. I'm just helping him with some notes that's all." He leans over the table.

"That's all? Young lady everyone here at school must pull their own weight. Do you really think in the real world there is going to some petty little dumb blond there to hold his hand?" I am getting real sick of this guy's shit. I can put me down all he likes, no matter how unprofessional it is, but he will leave Blake out of it. I slowly stand out of my chair

"Are you blind Mr Flanders? Can you not see that Blake, quite frankly, has cancer? He is lucky to be alive right now, and if he lives for the next 10 years then you bet your sorry arse I will be there."

"DETENTION!" He slams both hands on my desk, making half the class jump. I nudge Blake gently.

"Come on Blake, come on baby let's go. We need to get you home." Blake stumbles out the door.

"Why-why did you do that?" His breathing is heavy, his head is burning up something chronic. Yet all he cares is that I got one fucking detention. It's about time really, first time for everything.

"Because I love you Blake. No other reason than that."