Chapter 21: Aimee

How horrible. Honestly, I feel so small and vulnerable. And Blake, it makes me sick to the stomach that he has that man for a father. That is no father figure I saw tonight, but rather a drunken predator. He breath reeked of rum and whatever else he was drinking. My eyes are still burning as I walk into Blake's room and set my books down.

"Aimee," his voice is rasped, and abrupt, "Aimee I am so so sorry." I turn towards him, tears streaming down his pale face. His hands are trembling at his sides. "I can't believe you had to see that." I walk over to him and place my hand on his cheek, wiping the tears that spill from his eyes. It breaks my heart.

"Blake you have nothing to be sorry for okay?" I pull him over to sit on the bed, his body hunches over, head in his hands.

"I guess you see where I get my horrible first impressions from the aye?" He tries to laugh but he chokes and stays silent. I pull him toward me, his face close to mine. My heart continues to race.

"Blake listen to me. You are not your father. Everything I said back there, I meant it all. You are the most beautiful person I have ever met." He reaches his hand over and gently strokes my hair. He whispers so softly I have to strain my ears to hear him.

"Why did you stand up for me? Its not your responsibility, he's my father after all. My problem, not yours."

"Because I care for you Blake. You are the greatest friend I have had in a long time. When I'm with you, I feel happy. Truly and utterly happy, and free of the troubles and worries of life. And because you don't deserve to be treated like that." He closes his eyes for a moment and squints them tight.

"Right," he says finally, opening his eyes once again, "is it time for History?"

I smile, "Yes, I think it is."