Chapter 15: Aimee

We lay there, at the edge of my bed. Not speaking. I hate being like this, weak and shaky, unable to control my emotions. But he doesn't seem phased by it. He leans over and grabs something off the edge of my bed. My iPod.

"Hey what are you listening to?" Oh god.

"Please put that down. Don't look at it don't touch it and certainly do not press play. I have a horrid taste in music I promise," He smirks, "no really you DON'T want to know..." I reach out to grab it off him, but his long arms make it impossible to reach.

"Ah let's see then..." he flicks through my music and screws up his face. Oh, dear god what has he found. He turns the iPod around, "Ed Sheeran. You've got to be kidding me."

"What? That's one of the better artists on there."

"Excuse me. He's tacky. Always sings about the same bloody stuff they all do, love and heartbreak. God, I didn't know you were this mainstream." I laugh in shock, but to be honest I'm not really surprised. Blake has never seemed to be one for romance it seems.

"Play Hearts Don't Break Around Here." He raises his eyebrows, "In the Divide Album. Just play it." He presses play and sits there, listening intently. The song ends and he seems unphased. I try to get his attention. "Well?"

"Well what?"

"What do you have to say about it?" He rolls his eyes and laughs.

"It's about love. Therefore, it's tacky, mainstream, and a complete cliché."

"Well love is cliché, it's common, everyone experiences it at least one in their lives I'm sure. And mainstream. Have you heard 90% of music on the radio today. It's all techno and sound effects, and 'tap that', 'bang her' kind of shit. This. THIS is music. All you have to do is listen to the lyrics, what he is saying. That he isn't afraid of the troubles of the world, the conditions of being human; aging and dying. All he cares about is her, the woman he loves. The music itself is joyful and romantic and reflective. That no matter what happens to him, or her, they will be ok in end. Because their hearts don't break around here."

"Wow, that's deep."

"Sorry," I laugh to myself, "I guess I just want to love someone that badly one day, to the point where nothing else matter expect them and vice versa." I was expecting some sarcastic remark or judgement but Blake just smiled. A sad sort of smile actually, it was a bittersweet expression.

"You will Aimee. If you want it that badly, you will." I feel myself smiling too, properly and out of happiness, for the first time all day. It feels good.