Chapter 54: Aimee

I wake up to my phone ringing. It's Blake's Ma. I feel my heart sink in my chest. I can't breathe as I pick up my phone. It can only mean one thing.

"H-hello?" I am shaking, I grip the blanket around me.

"Oh, sweetie I'm sorry to get you up like this but Blake, Blake is asking for you." I exhale, he is still alive. But by the sound of the voice from the other line, he doesn't have long left.

"No, no that's fine I'll be there. I just need to get my Dad, but I'll be there." I run in and get Dad, he drives me to the hospital. I walk thought the hospital and meet Blakes parents outside his room. Blake's father smiles weakly at me. Blake's Ma gives me a tight hug.

"Oh, darling thank you for coming. I think he will really need you now." Her voice trembles, "I know you must have been preparing yourself for this." I know what she means.

"He's not doing so well is he." She shakes her head.

I walk into the room, Blake is sleeping. I sit down in the chair next to his bed and reach out to hold his hand.

"Blake?" I whisper. Nothing. He doesn't respond.

"Blake?" He stirs slightly, his eyes open. It takes a couple of minutes for him to adjust, his eyes scan the room and fall onto me. I see the recognition register in his face.

"Aimee I-" His voice, it sounds all dry and crackled. He winces as he speaks. I grab his hand in both of mine.

"Shhh Blake it's alright. Go back to sleep, I just wanted to let you know I'm here now. It's okay, I won't leave you. I'll stay here all night if you want." I lean over and kiss his forehead, as the tears burst from my eyes. "Goodnight Blake." I can see he's going now. He keeps trying to grasp my hand, but he has lost all strength in his body. His eyelids close, and I manage to hear one last sentence pass his lips.

"Night Aimee." Just like I promised him, dying would be like falling asleep.

...

Blake passed away 2 hours and 46 minutes later. I sat in the chair watching his chest steadily rise and fall, I could just hear his breath leave his lips. His fingers were closed around mine, then without warning they released entirely. His chest fell, machines started beeping. The nurses all came in, but I didn't need to be told what was happening. I knew, I said goodbye. Now it was time to leave. I kissed Blake one last time, said goodbye to his parents, and went home. I didn't cry. That whole time I didn't shed one tear. It wasn't until I got back home, got into my pyjamas and laid down in bed that it snapped. That it truly hit me that I really never would see him again. I burst into tears, I felt a throbbing pain build up in my head. I screamed into my pillow as if trying to release some pressure inside my brain. I clawed at the blankets and the pillows on my bed. Dad ran in and cradled me as I thrashed about. He was gone.