Birthday Blues

Wearing a blue flannel nightshirt and matching pants, Rory stared down at the pitiful cupcake that was on the table. It had one sad, lonely candle squished in the middle. "How pathetic."

"Talking to yourself now?" Jess walked up behind her, "I guess that's what happens when you get old." Jess was laughing but Rory just slammed her head down on the kitchen table.

"Why don't you start digging my grave," she replied, sobbing into the hard granite.

Jess took a seat beside Rory and rested a comforting hand on her shoulder, "You are not old," He said. "Thirty-six is not that bad."

Rory moaned, "Don't even say that horrendous word," She cried.

Realizing that is was going to take a while for her to adjust to her birthday, Jess knew of something that was going to bring her spirits up. "Now," He whispered to the girls that were standing behind the stairs.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear mommy, happy birthday to you!" Haeven sang and carried a plate of eggs and bacon.

Adley carried a cup of juice, carefully stepping to make sure she wouldn't spill it.

Rosalyn carried a card and a wrapped gift. "Mommy gift," She handed her mom the present.

"Oh, girls," Rory felt her eyes watering up. "Thank you so much for all of this,"

"I made breakfast with Daddy, and I drew the card all by myself," Haeven exclaimed, proudly.

"Me too," Adley said, "Make card,"

Rory opened the gift and inside was a necklace with a purple heart. "It's so beautiful,"

"I saved up my piggy money and daddy took me to the store," Haeven was so proud at what she did.

Rory just let the tears escape her eyes again.

"Are you sad, mommy?" Haeven asked, disappointment on her face.

"Oh, no!" Rory took her onto her lap. "I'm crying because I'm happy, you girls mean so much to me." She hugged them all and then hugged Jess. "You are too sweet, honey. thank you for arranging this."

He smiled and kissed her, "You raised such good girls, they're sweet just like you."

"Eww!" Haeven expelled such disgust at seeing her parents kiss that is made Rory and Jess laugh.

"Eww, what?" They joked and picked her up, tickling her.

Haeven giggled.

*****

Now, it was Jess's turn for giving gifts. "Here, my love." He said and handed Rory a package.

By the shape of it, Rory guessed what it would be, "Is it a book?"

"Open it and find out," Jess smirked.

Tearing open the gift, Rory frowned when she saw 'Momento Mori' by Jonathan Nolan. "Really, Jess?"

He couldn't contain his laughter, "I'm sorry, honey but I had to. Here's your real gift."

Rolling her eyes, Rory accepted the gift; what was inside made Rory gasp. "Tickets to see Andy Partridge?" She swooned.

"He's the only one I could find that was performing tonight, XTC always reminded me of that first night we kissed."

"That one night? Jess, we've kissed so many times," She laughed.

"Our first one as an official couple,"

Rory grinned, "Without the cigarette this time." She kissed him passionately. "I love you."